News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-29 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

getting many little things finished these days. Since the CS had a blankout I am using the clock out of my DR RW. My father restored the movement(s) earlier this year and now it was finally time to get the housings cleaned and everything assembled.

I cleaned the original inside paint as good as possible and clearcoated it so no flaking paint would be on the face later on. Notice the og blackout color scheme for the dash lights.
I decided against the faded fluorescent orange on the pointers and used 2 layers of candy apple red over tan primer to give it a little pep. finally all the cleaned parts lined up for assembly.

djfordmanjack

movment with pointers on and overnight test run on battery.
clocks next to each other ( I restored a 58 as well. more later)
here's a little video of both clocks , accompanied with a cute Brenda Lee Christmas song on the radio:
https://youtu.be/jl3VWcSwHps

djfordmanjack

djfordmanjack

lalessi1

Guenter, everytime you post something I am blown away. Your clocks look better than new, I would have never thought about the needle color. I loved the VW truck video as well. Happy Holidays!  :003:
Lynn

mustang6984

Heck, I may send my clocks down to you so you can re-condition them for me! Well done and great work!?

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2016-12-18 10:23
here's the 58 movement ticking away :004:

https://youtu.be/KN0Dgt99eko

https://youtu.be/eGepVxe94GI
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Limey57

Looks like an excellent and straight forward project!  I'd also love a wagon but I'm not looking at anything else until I finish the Ranchero! 

We also have a yearly inspection but that has now been dropped for pre-1960 vehicles, sounds like a good deal but these things are rarely given without something being demanded back in return, rumours are restricted use and limits on modifications, but it's early days yet.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

djfordmanjack

thx guys!
my friend Mark from Forthampton introduced me a little to the British vintage car rules and also about his opinion on BREXIT... we can only  :005: let's see if it really happens. I doubt it.
Gary I am glad to hear that I didn't steal the wgn out of your home hunting grounds. Really lucky and happy to get it.

hiball3985

Guenter, those look great. My clock doesn't work at this point, maybe a project for the future. When I painted the needles on the speedo and other gauges I used a florescent paint from a hobby shop for models and a small brush, great selection of colors. Years ago when doing the ones in my truck I used fingernail polish, another source of unlimited colors and it comes with a brush  :003:.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

the fingernail polish is something I wouldn't have thought of, great idea !
not a fan of fluorescent orange honestly (it hurts my vintage eye :003:) and I was concerned about their fading characteristics. maybe today's paint is better than in 57, when it was just in its infancy and mostly used in military aeromotive applications.
Obviously too many thoughts spent on a stupid little detail like that anyways. It's just that I have a cold and didn't want to start the dirty grinding and welding work on the floors before Christmas. New year should see some important work getting done on the CS.

hiball3985

I'll probably fade away before the paint  :003: The one I found was almost an exact match to the original. I wasn't looking for an exact match, it was just luck, I'm not a purist on every detail.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

:003:
yes we are not going to keep these forever, are we? Maybe the next owner will be delighted by the little candy apple red pointers... :002:

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2016-12-19 10:40
:003:
yes we are not going to keep these forever, are we? Maybe the next owner will be delighted by the little candy apple red pointers... :002:
Yes, my son has already taken the little bottle of paint, he's just waiting for the car to go with it  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

time for a little new year's work. ordered ASA/ABS plastic sheet for interior panels. 2mm ( approx 5/64). Have used these before in other projects and they have a nice leatherette grained texture, easy to cut and sand and resistant to sunlight and moisture.
this is a quick fix but could be covered with vinyl anytime. I like it better than the marine plywood I used for the DelRio, as it's thinner. especially nice to use for kick panels and cargo area as these panels have to fit inside moldings. huge improvement over the og pressboard panels and will never warp again.

djfordmanjack

same goes for kick panels. the cardboard reproductions are simply junk. cheap, but not even worth their money. they warped as soon as the sun went away. :003: remade it all from ASA sheet. perfect fit inside the molding channel, no fraying on the edge, no warpage.will do for some time.