News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-29 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

looks ok.
next will be the C pillar panels. original construction of leatherette over cardboard, sheetmetal and pressboard has disintegrated beyond repair

RICH MUISE

Your usual great job, Guenter. They have a nice clean fresh look to them. What are the plans for replacing the rotted sheetmetal stuff?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

I have found that ABS has a waxy feeling surface that doesn't like glue or paint... is it just me or am I missing something????
Lynn

Ecode70D

Guenter
   The panels look great.   Now you don't have to worry about them warping.  I like the surface texture also.    Jay

SkylinerRon

Re; Dayglow paint
Don't paint your gauges. The weight of the paint will make the gauges inaccurate.
MagicMarkers will work.

Ron.

hiball3985

Great looking panels Guenter. Many years ago I did something similar from a material that was used for the interior of an airplane rebuild, I got the left overs. Very flexible, had a nice texture and held up well with heat and moisture.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Mavaholic

I used the same stuff to make all the interior panels for my Country Sedan. I like it.

djfordmanjack

Very cool! I plan to do exactly that on some of the door panels, that are all original and saveable. 3 of them will do for now but pssgr front pressboard is totally warped and lower cardboard falls to pieces. In spring I will pull the the og stamped vinyl from the old panel and try putting it on the new straight ABS panel.
@Lynn, there are many different types of plastic and some the glue won't stick to. I have had no problems with these ASA/ABS sheets but I ordered a special type ABS contact glue for the door panel repair. so that'll be ok hopefully. obviously Mavaholic had no problem upholstering his door panels.
@Rich: I will probably ommit the reinforcement sheet metal for the C pillars. The ABS board seems stiff enough.
@Jay and Jim. I don't usually like plastic, but this is really a nice material to work with and the texture looks much better in reality than on digital pics. I have been using it in 1934 Fords (firewall, kick panels) as well and it doesn't look out of place

@Ron: weight of paint on gauges is worth considering, thx. It doesn't really matter on the clock pointers though. I only used thin layers.

djfordmanjack

c pillar panels done. Now I am just waiting for it to get a little warmer so I can finally start on the floorboards.

mustang6984

Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Limey57

Gary

1957 Ranchero

djfordmanjack

Thanx guys! Been a bit lazy lately, a few small things achieved.
vertical vent wing seals replaced and put some natural rubber foam seal around the perimeter of the air cleaner cover. seems the og filter element had a lip that covered the ring gap.
BTW does anybody know the meaning of the 'SY' letters to the rear of the cleaner housing ?

djfordmanjack

I still have to think about how to attack the floorboard repair, so I started with a 'little' project, like fixing the rusted out headlight dipswitch cover  :003:

mustang6984

Nice work on the switch cover! Looks good as new!

No idea what the "SY" means...someone ought to know...I would think. Sorry.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker