News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-29 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

Günter
   I did not realize that our A posts were that bad.  For some reason I pictured in my mind that you had upper problems only.  Your careful measuring and making replacement pieces is just brilliant.  I especially like the fact that you thought it through to the point of thinking about the condensation forming between the inner unprotected metal.  Coating the inner surfaces and making drain holes is certainly going to help  preserve your 57 Ford. 
     Jay   

djfordmanjack

Thank you Jay. As most members are most probably aware anyways, our cars do rust out from the inside. mostly rear quarters, lower doors, lower front fenders, headlight housings, rain gutters ( mostly on wagons, because of a faulty draining situation) and said a post doglegs. all are places in which dirt and moisture will get trapped. I am not sure why otherwise good cars loose their rear quarters, and like mine- it has great rockers and quarters and door bottoms, but rusted out posts and rain gutters. In my thinking, condensation is the biggest problem. both of my cars are Pacific coastline area Californian cars. In my mind I can picture the salty sea air being hot daytimes, so holding a lot of moisture. it gets everywhere, also inside a car. Nighttimes it cools off rapidly ( as we know the Pacific ocean has cold waters right down to So Cali). There is no way to go for the condensed water than dripping from the roof inside and running down the inside of the rain gutter structure. The wagons do NOT have enough drains on the inside roof structure. there is also headliner and sound deadener cloth coming off the roof which perfectly cloggs whatever little drainage holes there might have been. same goes for the posts. That is my theory.
Only cure seems to be having enough and open drain holes and protecting the bare metal with a sealer.

I would have opted for an easier repair on the doglegs, but I couldn't come up with a better idea, than to build it close to as what Ford thought they should look like. Its an important part to seal the A pillars against the doors and guide rain water away to the fender/door gap. It is also something that you immediately see each time you open the door. so there was no place for short cuts.
Now on to the pssgr side.... :003:

Contibob

Pure and simple artwork, (maybe not so simple). Guenter you are amazing.

djfordmanjack

Thank you Bob !
Jay is going to send me your CS script soon, so I will be able to put it on the car this summer.

Ecode70D

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2017-03-02 18:44
Thank you Bob !
Jay is going to send me your CS script soon, so I will be able to put it on the car this summer.

Günter WHO?   What CS script? 
Just joking Bob. 

Teddymac

Checking out your post as I have also invested in a C/S. In the '60s I raced 2 different 272" powered Custom 300s with a little success. Now factoring in the age thing of my friends and me, I decided a couple of extra doors were needed. Climbing in and out of another friend's 2DR helped to reinforce that thought but '57 4DRS just didn't cut it for me.
This wagon needs floors and rocker panels but seems OK in most other areas. I may be surprised!
I'm caught up in whether I should be installing a 351W, of which I have 2 and the earlier AOD I also have (these parts were courtesy of friends) or going with the 292/Fordo that is in the car. Decisions, decisions!
I haven't read all of your posts but will and maybe I'll even steal some of your ideas!
My wagon has been modified with disc brakes, rack and pinion steering, tilt column and some dash mods but not much else.
It sat a long time after the previous owner lost interest so needs to be gone through from end to end. I hope I can remember half of what I once knew (or thought I did). Looks like you are way more talented Than I! Great post!!!

djfordmanjack

welcome to the site! You'll find everything you need to know (or might have forgotten) from all the great guys on this forum! would be nice if you would introduce yourself and the new project to the group in the projects or members rides section of the forum. I had been long hesitating in buying a 4dr, but they are most practical and with a '57 Ford wagon, we are lucky to have one of the most beautiful 4dr wagon designs ever. The roofline and side trim is exactly as crisp and sweapy as on the 2dr and the leaned froward c post gives it a very sporty look as well. Just matches the tailgate inclination. front doors are still big enough for easy entry and the rears are a charm to get in for kids, elderly or handicapped persons. It's a perfectly laid out car, if it wasn't for that 'a little rust'..... :003:
looking forward seeing your project !
Guenter

djfordmanjack

Finally got a day off and working on the drivers side rocker, repairing the only hole in the rockers (overlapping area).

that's still the original lead work to the front of the repaired section.

djfordmanjack

on with sealing the rocker inside, after thorough cleaning with wire brush and air.

filling the seams with extremely penetrating Owatrol Oil.

Since both Owatrol and Rustoleum are enamel based and use terpentine thinner they work together well. wet/wet

penetrating effect of Rustoleum is wonderful. the black spots over red primer developed FROM THE INSIDE ! So now I can be sure the seam is sealed.

djfordmanjack

putting a top back on the drivers door rocker sill.

RICH MUISE

POR-15 makes a painting tool that is a 1 1/2 or so cotton ball on the end of a braided wire handle, maybe 3 feet long (I forget). Hanny for getting way inside frame rails and such. Only problem is all the cotton fibers it leaves in the paint.
Nice job on getting the inside of the rockers protected. Mine all got replaced, so everything was por-15'd before it got welded on.
Also, as an alternative for those who can't cut into their rockers as you did, 3M makes a heavy waxy product that is applied with a gun and long flexible nozzle/wand that sprays sideways 360*. You insert the wand in thru the 2" hole on the forward end of the rocker/A pillar bottom and spray as you pull it back out. I did that also......borrowed the tool from Pat.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

Gunter...have I mentioned that you are a cotton-picking ARTISAN?!?!?!

Nice work! Very nice!

Rich...I think Eastwood also sells a wand that sprays 360 as well inside rockers.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

djfordmanjack

I'm at it !
right side next. cut off the C and A post outer skins and cleaning the inner structure which is remarkably sound. again a problem of leadwork/acid and non existant drainage holes. The outer C pillar is just a cover. it is not welded at the glass seal side, so water can easily get in and it has nowhere to go- gets trapped in the lower part which rusted out. I did drill a drain hole, blast and seal the structure. The og outer skin will get blasted, patched and eventually get back in it's place.

right A post, clean up.

djfordmanjack

Now that all the posts are blasted and no more media and debris is going down in the rockers it was time to clean out, seal and close the pssgr side.
It was also the right time to pull a few dents from a little curbside mishap.