News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-29 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Limey57

Looking good, at this rate it will be water-proof, never mind rust-proof!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

djfordmanjack

got fed up of welding and grinding, so I had to do a 'fun' job today. :002:
a 2" drop all around in 6 hours. I can't believe how smooth everything went. all the bolts came off nicely and I still had my ball joint puller (pusher) tool handy, that I made 20 years ago. frontend still needs aligning. For now I am using used Aerostar springs on purpose. thinking that 30 year old springs will not sag any more. They work great for me. perfect drop, just shy of 2 ". I used thick rubber insulators on both ends. everything will get cleaned up and painted once everything has settled and I'm content with the ride and stance.
rear is a mild 2" blocks. car still missing the rear bench seat and trailer hitch weight and tank is nearly empty, no tools and sparewheel in the compartment. that's another 150 to 200 pds which will bring the rear down an inch or so.
tires are 8.00-14 BF Goodrich on '65 5x14 Mustang wheels. They have quite some backspacing, so that tucks in the front wheels nicely.
I think I will use 1" spacers on the rear though.

sorry for the blurry pic, but it already got dark when I finished the job.

djfordmanjack

The mild drop looks good to me and will still be ok in daily driving.

what do you guys think ?

RICH MUISE

Looks just about right to me.....and in good time. 6 hrs isn't too shabby. Nice work.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Guenter
    You managed to get a lot of work done lowering the car in 6 hours. 
    You also did a good job of repairing the rocker panel and cleaning and painting the inside.  That's something that is very important and often forgotten.  Too bad that Henry didn't paint those inner panels.  Back in the day,  I remember that some early Fords were already rusting in the showrooms.
Seems like they were not thinking that the cars would still be on the road 60 years later.

mustang6984

Your work on those rockers makes me feel guity for planning on buying new ones. Beautiful work sir!

I agree with you...that drop looks excellent. To the casual observer it will not be noticed....they'll look at it and think..."something is different about that car...but I can't put my finger on it!" That's when you know your modification was perfect!

Well done sir...like everything before it.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

So it seems I'm not alone with that mild drop. Less is more, so to say. appreciate your thoughts.
I was really stunned at how quick it was and that all the bolts came out and off without efforts. even the rear U bolts, which most probably haven't been opened since 1957. Probably helped that I had done the job before ( in '98 on my Courier Sedan Delivery).
Jay, as you know that I drive my cars in rain as well and from early spring to late fall, it was important to get rust protection in the rockers while at it. I will put some wax in there at some later point, as has been mentioned before by Rich I think. we have good access with a wand nozzle by the lower front fender bolt access plug.
Now for the wheels what do you guys think about using hubcaps, wheelcovers or nothing at all ?

lalessi1

Guenter, the quality of work that you do is beyond the superlatives I have left to use without being redundant. The photos of the wheels bring back memories of my Fairlane 500, Doeskin Tan/Silver Mocha. I used to ride with full hubcaps or no hubcaps depending on my mood or if I had a date that night or not. I do have a fondness for the dog dish now and that is what is on my car now... simple but "finished" look. On another note, the Aerostar springs I have are progressively wound and the ones you have do not appear to be. Did they change at some point?
Lynn

mustang6984

I'm a hubcap fan as opposed to the full wheel cover. Painted in the inner section behind the FORD letters in a matching color of the body paint. I'd go with the mocha on yours. But that's my leaning. Either way you go, will look good I have no doubt.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Swank

im into the full wheel, but that's what came with mine and they're really shiny and brand new looking, ...so.

your stance is good, tucked in just enough.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

djfordmanjack

Again, it seems I am not alone with stupid questions of running whatever or no wheel trim at all. :001:
The 57 hubcaps and full wheelcovers are beautiful. also love the starburst ( Turbine style) Ford accessory wheelcover, that was used on Skyliners.
Lynn, you ar right about the mood. I'll keep them bare wheels for now, as that's what I like most. Next time I'm out for a date I'll use the wheelcovers :003:
Hugh, like your idea of painting the dogdish centers in silver mocha. I think I'll give that a try.

concerning the Aerostar springs, these came out of export models that were deliverd to Germany originally. I don't know if that makes a difference. I also have a new set of MOOG Aerostar springs and they are exactly the same height, windings and spring diameter.

I am very much flattered by all the praise. I hope this doesn't start to look like bragging. I am just doing what I always do and the way I was educated to. I should add that my father was a watchmaker and my mother a bookkeeper. So maybe I am a little on the fuzzy side with things. :003: Of course it helps that I just love those 57 Fords and I want to make the repairs last for decades, as I plan to keep and drive this one a lot. again this is not a restoration, but fixing up an old driver .

Ecode70D

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2017-03-28 17:01
I just love those 57 Fords and I want to make the repairs last for decades, as I plan to keep and drive this one a lot. again this is not a restoration, but fixing up an old driver .

Günter
    That's what it is all about.  Fix them as you drive them and don't put them in garage prison for untold years.
Jay

mustang6984

I have seen the painted background on others, I think some of them even came that way.
As for bragging...HA! Just like you said...doing what you do...just happens to be better than I can do! Or have the tools to do some of it with. Keep at it...we all learn a little from your work. Thanks!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

I think the dogdish hubcaps came in different colors over the years ( albeit a little different in design). I think the 55 are gold and 56 red or the other way around.
I'll play around with one and try the silver mocha on the center.
First is finishing the metalwork on the car.