News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-29 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Swank

don't worry about the bragging.
being someone that's really only wrenched on things I've broken off of cars, seeing in-depth processes of restoration, fabrication, and modifications are very interesting at this point. 
keep it up.  let's see it.

-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

djfordmanjack

Ok then....some more metal fabrication. pssgr a post nearly finished. needs a little more grinding and sanding. Really happy to have those areas finished.

djfordmanjack

Nearly forgot to mention, that yesterday, March 28th was to celebrate the young Lady's 60th birthday !!!

wishing many more miles, solid U joints and whatever she likes... :003:

terry_208

That's good.  She's two days older than my sedan!
Terry

djfordmanjack

well then, happy birthday to your sedan ! :003:

djfordmanjack

This is just too crazy.... when I was posting about the Country Sedan's birthday yesterday, that song kept coming to my mind again and again. now I looked it up on youtube, and it was recorded in March 1957 !!!! What.....???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfy18ynhWNU

I don't know what you all think about coincidence like that. 10 days ago I was watching a 1950s movie with one of my RocknRoll heroes Chuck Berry. I hadn't seen the video in 10 years. The time I was watching the movie with my son, I found out the next day. was the exact time that Mr. Chuck Berry passed away. Dunno. RIP Mr. Berry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT3kCVFFLNg

djfordmanjack

finished the a post

on with the c post
what looks like white primered metal is actually chemically rust stripped bare metal

For now I have finished the welding on the CS, the tailgate and RH raingutter that the PO fixed will do for now, but will need attention soon.
Since you guys like my workmanship that much I would love to think that these pics encourage some of you to try for yourself. It is no magic and not so difficult, it just needs basic tools and patience.
I am really happy that I can now move on to reassembling the Country Sedan.

terry_208

G., I believe the ability to do some of these things is not being reluctant to try and then going slowly.  Like the saying goes, how do you eat and elephant?  One bite at a time.  Just as you're accomplishing the work on your CS!  Yes, your work has indeed encouraged me to work on my own sedan.  I enjoy reading and seeing how you accomplish the tasks.     
Terry

Ecode70D

Guenter
     Your work is spectacular.   You have a lot of patience.   I wish that I could do work like that.
Jay

Wirenut

Gunter, I have done a lot of metal fabrication blending pre stamped pieces and made a number of patch panels. I am self taught and was feeling pretty good about my skills to date but after seeing your work i still have some improving to do. You are way above average and do some impressive work. Your attention to detail is impressive. Thank for posting you progress.

lalessi1

Quote from: terry_208 on 2017-03-30 18:31
G., I believe the ability to do some of these things is not being reluctant to try and then going slowly.  Like the saying goes, how do you eat and elephant?  One bite at a time.  Just as you're accomplishing the work on your CS!  Yes, your work has indeed encouraged me to work on my own sedan.  I enjoy reading and seeing how you accomplish the tasks.   

One of the things I love about this forum is that it encourages and motivates me to do things I have never tried to do before. I actually imagine getting the space, tools, and skills to do what the "big boys do". The one thing I do seem to have is patience??  :003:
Lynn

Swank

oh yeah, work like that C post stuff makes me feel silly about being reluctant to pull the fenders off (something that I feel would make addressing some front end issues way easier, but at the same time wondering if id ever get them things lined up with the doors again.)  ive pulled engines, trans, and whole back ends before, just never messed with the structure.   but if you don't jump in, you'll always be standing on the side.   although still nowhere near the point of cutting on those post areas.

-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

hiball3985

Please come to the USA and open a shop to help us handicapped  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

so far it has been a great journey with this car. starting from a total coincidence in finding and purchasing it from England in the beginning, on to understanding what a pretty unmolested and original car it is and then making decisions about mechanically sound but reasonable repairs and finally getting into details on some areas that I just wanted to look and be correct. patience is one thing but it's the love for these cars that really got me going again and again over the last 2 months.
It all paid off today, on a 70+ early spring day, getting the car out in the sun for the first time and checking it out all afternoon with my son.
We did play the hubcaps, covers and trim rings a little and ended up, -of all things, with 1952/53 Ford dogdish hubcaps !
I always liked the look since first seeing the 'Maze', that famous incredibly colorful 57 Ford Farilane HT from the 1950s with the crazy green,purple and silver scallops and panel paint job. It had 53 dogdishes.
It was a sight this evening to see the sun set over my new 57 wagon! Loving the 300 trim glistening in the eving sun. People must have gone crazy about it in August of 56. 8) :038:

mustang6984

Those caps work well buddy! I like them!
Car looks so sweet!!!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker