News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Shop Seat

Started by Mavaholic, 2016-12-23 16:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Mavaholic

A guy I knew had a four door 500 which got compressed by a large oak tree during a storm. He pulled the body off the frame and said he was going to use the frame and running gear for some other project. I bought the front and back ends off of him. I thought I could use the rear section for patch panels for my Ranchwagon but turns out it was not in good shape at all. So I turned it into a shop seat. It looks good in the pictures but it had lots of bondo in it.

Mavaholic

some of the fabrication pictures.

Mavaholic

I didn't have a bumper so I picked up this truck bumper at a swap meet for $20. Flipped it upside down, narrowed it, and reshaped the ends so it sorta looks like a custom bumper.

Mavaholic

I had some 12 yr old single stage paint from a Maverick I used to have so I used some of it here. Since the original back seat that came with this rear section was green, it worked out well.

Mavaholic

Bought new script, tail lights and trim and put it all together.

Mavaholic

Lastly the bumper. Chroming was out of the question and paint would not look as good in my opinion so I got some of that chrome body wrap and tried my hand at it. Could have been really nice if I had more experience but its fine for a shop seat. Although they look good in pictures, the trim along the top of the fins is really beat up. I have a post in the "wanted" section for better parts. I need two 30 inch sections. So if anyone has some messed up trim that has at least a 30" straight, dent free, section, please let me know.

Thanks

RICH MUISE

Wow. Looks like a fun project, and it came out great. That may be the best looking bumper I've seen on a '57, lol. Sure beats the heck out of what they came with. Any idea what it came off of? I need to be prepared for if/when my rolled pan gets crunched!!
Thanks for posting and keeping a photo trail. Also, I'm curious about the chrome body wrap> could you give us some info on it? Looks great....obviously not for a driven car, but maybe other stuff. If you could share a source for it, and a how-to, I'd sure appreciate it.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

I am absolutely speechless, in total awe!!!! :003:
Lynn

Mavaholic

I have no idea what the bumper came off of. I'm guessing it was a truck just because it was real wide and very heavy. Definitely some metal in that one. The wrap is normal automotive wrap that I bought off Ebay. It is for external use. I had to buy a 60"x96" piece because the bumper was about 6 1/2 ft end to end. It cost $45 with free shipping. I have enough left to do 3 more. You tube is full of "how to" videos and thats what I went buy. The main problem I had was over stretching which leads to color loss. The more helping hands you have the easier it is to use. One day I might rip it off and redo it but too many projects to worry about it.

59meteor

That rear clip/seat looks great, much better than just scrapping it! Whats the story on the 71-72 Comet on the hoist? Always liked Mavericks and Comets.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Mavaholic

In 1972 I bought a new Maverick Sprint while still in high school. I wanted a Comet GT but they were about $400 more and I couldn't afford it. I still have the Sprint. Back in 2003 I picked up a 71 Comet GT. All original and unmolested. I'm building it to be a nice all weather driver. 302, 5 spd, AC, rack & pinion, 4 wheel power disc brakes, power windows, etc. I'm getting ready to paint the door jams and underside of the hood and trunk area. Should have the outside painted by mid January. You can check on the build here if interested: http://mmb.maverick.to/threads/my-comet-gt-build.36382/   

Pictured below is my Sprint.

rmk57

Theres a car builder/ hot rodder down the hill from me that just picked a nice pro streeted 71 Maverick. Has a warmed over 351 Windsor in it. I asked what he planned on doing with it hoping to here he was going to be using a Cleveland or 5.4 DOHC, something along that line anyway. He replied back and said , I like thinking outside the box and plan on using a LS in it. I said "you sure" with a slightly disgusted tone in my voice, it would kinda nice to do a retro prostocker with Boss 429 in it, didnt sound like he was having any part of that though.

Nice Maverick, Iv'e alaways liked them.

The seat looks great to, although my wife wouldn't allow it in the upstairs living room though.

Merry Christmas

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

59meteor

Randy, not a lot of Pro Street type Mavericks in our area, is this one red &black? There was also a maroon one, and for a while, I had a Grabber blue 71 Maverick, that a buddy raced with a 351C and 4 speed. In fact, I had planned on putting my 428FE in the Maverick, before I bought my 78 Fairmont 30 years ago, and built that instead. There was also several Maverick drag cars locally, Howie Stevens and Gord Zonalalio each ran a Boss 302 powered Maverick in Modified Production, plus Keith Winterbotttom still has his 70 Maverick H/MP 300 6 cyl /Nash 5 speed that he has raced since 1973. One of my all time favorite Ford Pro Stockers was `Dyno`Don Nicholsons 427 SOHC Mavericks, although Barry Pooles `Border Bandit`Comet was pretty cool too!
Mavoholic, I am not normally a fan of body modifications, but what you have done is very subtle and nicely done, I bet most people would not even notice at first glance. I especially like the rear valance and exhaust tips, looks very similiar to my old 70 Mach 1 Mustangs.
As for the 57 couch, what does that thing weigh. Looks like it would be at least 200 lbs.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Mavaholic

Thanks for the compliments. I'm a blue blood Ford fan although I do like just about all cars. I'm not sure I would consider stuffing a LS in anything as "outside the box" thinking. It seems to be the norm these days. I'd prefer The engine and body be the same manufacturer. I've seen so many really cool and unique cars only to find cookie cutter LS motors in them. Thats just my opinion and you know what opinions are worth.

As far as the seat, I'd say its less than 200 lbs. Maybe 150-180 range.

rmk57

From what I remember it looked like medium blue poly or even Acapulco blue. Has a cage in it and enough room for 14x32 slicks. I dont recall if it had shock towers in it or had been removed, he didn't have the hood up. All in all it looked like nice straight, clean Maverick.
It's Laurie Peterson's shop, you may have seen his Ls powered Avanti. Beautiful build he has done it, just wouldn't be my first choice in engines.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429