News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

travelling weather along the gulf??

Started by RICH MUISE, 2016-12-26 19:23

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

James....Lynn....Bill.....Just got off the phone with my son who I haven't seen since '04. He now lives in the Tampa area only an hour from my sister, who I haven't seen since '06. They are both wanting me to make a trip down, and before May as my sister will be in Europe most the summer. So, of course the wheels started turning......hmmm make for a heck of a trip in the '57. Obviously my son hasn't seen the car since I started working on it 11 years ago, and my sister's husband was my go-to guy for help with repairs back in Massachusetts, so I'd really like to show it off to them, and what would make for a super awesome trip would be stopping at Lynn's, James', and Bill's "along the way".
So, my question, is late March, or April normally a good weather season along the route in your areas? My guess is if the weather is clear from Amarillo down to wherever I hit the gulf coast, I should be good. "Clear", meaning snow or ice or major storms...rain will be ok.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

March and April are some of the better months here for travel in these parts. No hurricanes, heavy rains, high temps etc. We have had freak snow events early in March that have closed I-10 for a day.. an inch of snow will close us down, but that has happened maybe 3 times in my life. COME ON DOWN!!! :003:
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Thanks Lynn, that's what I needed to know. I just looked at the map and realized Bill is about 200 miles (?) north of where I probably will be, so maybe on the way back weather permitting.I'll keep you posted. We've got lots going on here with Connie losing her aunt in Phoenix last week. Her cousin is going to sell everything there (2 houses now) and move here. She wants to buy a big house here and have us move in with her. She's been looking at houses here with BIG garages/shops for me, lol. I'm happy where I'm at in the slums.
Amarillo to Tampa is almost 1500 miles.

lalessi1

I have driven to Tampa several times and to Amarillo at least once. The 390 I had in my car before the 428 that is in it now came from Orlando, I drove down there and picked it up a few years back... just a "run around the block". I really hope you can make the trip...

Lynn

Ford Blue blood

Big shop.....like my house too even thou it is 40 years old.

Come on down! (or should I say up)  It is the middle of tornado season in the south east, only real weather issue.  Have a room, frig full of food, beer locker in the shop has water and beer, and I'm sure we can find a few sea stories out there.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the invite, much appreciated.
T-T-T-T-ornados?? ouch. Sounds like if I'm able to do this, lots is going to depend on weather...going to have to have flexible dates if that works for my son and sister.
lol, I asked my wife if she was interested in the trip since we probably won't be doing Phoenix anymore. "there's no way I'm going that far in the '57" was her reply. She's into comfort, quiet,etc etc. I'm now keeping a set of earmuffs in the car, lol. and no, it's not that loud.

lalessi1

Rich we seldom have serious tornados this far south. I live less than a mile south of I-12, close to the 10-12 split. Birmingham, being a couple hundred miles north is a more likely target.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Ford Blue blood

We do have several days worth of lead time with warnings.  The bad storms are a result of cold fronts coming down when we have the warm moist air from the Gulf in the area.  Not as much of an issue for the most part.  Super good weather guys here, all the stations go to continuing coverage when a warning is issued for the market area which covers a large portion of central AL.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JPotter57

If you are traveling I-10, I am 3 miles north of it.  Come on down...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

Good chance that'll happen, James. Thanks for the invite...it's about time we got to shake hands!

djfordmanjack

How I'd love to hop in the wagon and join you....taking in all the miles. Now (next year) is the time to do that Rich. looking forward to your pics and stories.

RICH MUISE

Come on over, bring the wagon or hop in my passenger seat.

djfordmanjack

I would love to do that right away Rich ! winter is getting in full swing here and will be below zero all week obviously. I am just dreaming of a wide open twolane, spring temperatures and one of those incredible 57 wraparound windshields and dashes....

RICH MUISE

an update. Currently I'm planning on reaching Florida about the 28/29th of March. There's only one show in Florida of any interest/magnitude in April, and that's the Tampa NSRA show starting the 31st of March.
If all goes well, Lynn and James, I'll be through  your areas march 27ish.
We have some Phoenix stuff coming up, we just don't know when, so that may change/postpone my Fla. trip.....along with that we're looking for a new house here in Amarillo. LOL.I have a 18x36 storage shed packed full mostly with stuff I moved down from Colorado 13 years ago.not looking forward to a move!!