News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Headers for 302

Started by Raven Rider, 2016-12-29 19:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven Rider

I've swapped out a 302 for a different 302 and the shorty headers have always been a problem with the stock steering box.  I don't want to swap the steering box I don't mind cast iron this is a driver not a race car.  I read here about early shelby cast iron headers.  I have3 sets of shorty headers 2 set are new and don't fit.  What fits and where can I get them.  Thanks   btw don't do a search for headers you will be here for days ;)
57RW  1995 302/5.0 not EFI anymore.

gasman826

SOOO, what have you found out?  Seems like there should be several Windsor engines in '57s.  For mockup, I have a '87 351w with AOD from a F150.  I was surprised that it just dropped right in.  The pickup engine mounts went into the unmodified engine stands and the cross member bolted to the cross member.  The iron exhaust manifolds just clear.  I will do a little trimming on the manifolds to get a little more clearance.  I'm going to order some no-name cheapie stainless block hugger headers for the pickup just to see if they will clear.  I don't think the Mustang stuff will work.

The newer EFI 351w manifolds are bigger.  The '80s carbureted manifolds are smaller and point more to the rear.  I have a '97 351w to go in but I will have to change the pan, timing chain cover, and use the smaller manifolds or the block hugger headers.

Raven Rider

gasman save your money  I have 3 sets of shorty block hugger type of headers and none fit without mods to the tube that hits the steering box. This is why I asked the question here and I'm surprised that no one has a suggestion for a header.  I will be getting my new engine in next week I'll find someone to modify one of the sets of headers I have.   

gasman826

I ordered a couple sets of headers that have worked for others with no success.  I even borrowed three sets from friends.  Finally, I ordered a set of stainless, shorties with full intent to modify.  Unfortunately, header modifications usually require blowing them apart to make them fit.  After many hours, I have them bolted to the heads and clearing everything.  After I put on the aluminum heads, I'll final weld, finish, and polish the headers.

wv 57s forever

long tube headers for a 67 fairlane are what i used with my 351w.

59meteor

When I was going to install a 302 and T5 in my 59 2 door sedan, I talked with a guy with the same running gear in his own 59 Custom 300 2 dr. He used motor mounts from a late 80s-early 90s Lincoln Mk. VII, and Flowtech headers , #12102FLT. These are long tube headers, and he said that they fit like they were made for that swap.  He first tried the 67-72 pickup truck mounts, but said the Lincoln mounts gave better oil pan clearance, and allowed these headers to fit nicely.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Raven Rider

those Flowtech headers #12102FLT are certainly cheap enough just about $160.00 might try them.  My RW has some home engineered engine mount pads a couple of 3 inch channel iron welded to the cross member it was that way when I bought it, this could be part of my problem but I can't change it now.  foot notes say it will not work with C6 trans so I'm guessing it won't work with an AOD trans. also it said Can be modified to fit A.I.R. fittings in head.  does anyone know what A.I.R. fittings are

lalessi1

I am guessing air injection from a smog pump into the heads?
Lynn

59meteor

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2017-01-31 22:17
I am guessing air injection from a smog pump into the heads?
Correct, in the 60s, and maybe early 70s, Ford used threaded holes in the cylinder heads to plumb the Thermactor smog pump to the heads. Later engines used a steel tubing setup that attatched to the rear of the heads.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

gasman826

C6 is bigger than AOD, AODE, 4R70

Raven Rider

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge here.  I think I  might see if these Fairlane headers will fit 

57chero

I used Headman shorty headers #88406 for a 65-66 mustang 289-302, I have a 351W in my ranchero which is about a 1-1/2" wider than a 302 with no clearance issues Or you could use the reproduction cast iron hipo manifolds for 65-66 mustangs for a 289 available through any mustang vendor. If you go to the gallery section page 5 bottom row there are some pictures when I was building mine that show the headers I used ( It is a 351W, I installed adapters to use big block valve covers) . There a little more spendy than when I bought them back in 08 but I would think any brand for that application would work.

Raven Rider

I had changed my steering box out to a 58 steering box and set the engine back a little the shorty headers I have just fit I'll have to clearance the steering box a little these headers just touch on the steering box.  I am so happy I didn't have to buy another set.