News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Daily Driver Raunch Wagon

Started by gasman826, 2017-01-04 08:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2017-05-15 07:04
Gary, YouTube for those of us that don't face book?  See, I'm stuck in the 60s with this tech stuff.  I don't text, tweet, or twerk....looking good!

Me too.

hiball3985

JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

Jeff Norwell

Looking good Gary!...vids worked well on U-Boob.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ford Blue blood

Thanks so much Gary......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

Alignment day!!!

hiball3985

Good for you! I can't even get close to that caster with these damn Granada spindles  :005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

If I remember correctly, Jim, my alignment guy was able to get mine to just over 2 (also Granada spindles),which should have increased a tad when I dropped the back end.
Nice job,Gary. At first I was confusing your '57's....thought this was the sedan. Guess I needed to pay more attention to the thread title and the sheen on the paint, lol.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

I have no proof but I think Granada 'style' spindles differ from model to model.  The Granada spindles on the Custom had similar alignment limitations as the spindles on the Wagon.  The Custom spindles were from a Granada and the Wagon spindles were from a '71 Ranchero.  I modified the Custom frame to make more header clearance, add anti-dive geometry, add caster adjustment and camber adjustment.  The Wagon alignment was barely satisfactory.  This past winter, the Wagon front end was completely dismantled looking for wear, damage and installing power steering.  I also installed custom upper control arms.  The AOD upgrade required a three gear selection shifter so I installed '64 Galaxie idler arm, drag link, valve, cylinder, pitman arm, steering box, column, and steering wheel.  I didn't take a picture of the camber.  I adjusted left camber to -1/8 and right -1/4.  The 1/8 difference is for road crown.  I also added an Addco sway bar.  Looking forward to the next drive.  The AOD was not as I wanted it so it is down for adjustments.  Next drive not soon enough...its summer!

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2017-06-03 23:20
If I remember correctly, Jim, my alignment guy was able to get mine to just over 2 (also Granada spindles),which should have increased a tad when I dropped the back end.
Nice job,Gary. At first I was confusing your '57's....thought this was the sedan. Guess I needed to pay more attention to the thread title and the sheen on the paint, lol.
If I remember correctly Lynn had the same issue as mine. I think he was going to go back to the stock spindles and a disc kit. My spindles were already on the car when I got it so I can't say for sure what year/model and just going by what the last owner told me, he just said they were Granada but he had the work done at a shop, he's no mechanic and not much car knowledge to speak of.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

It's just a little thing but something everyone can do.  When installing upper control arm bushings, press the rear bushing flange flush.  Most aftermarket upper control arm bushings do NOT have the bumps/stops.  Press the front bushing to correct control arm shaft end play.  Even if the replacement bushings have the bumps/detents, continue to press pass them.  The entire upper control arm will be moved 1/4" +/- toward the rear of the vehicle yielding more positive caster.  A very little yield but very little effort to get a little more positive caster.  The newer upper control arms (with screw-in type bushings) have been substituted with the shaft adjusted as far forward as possible to get more positive caster.

lalessi1

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2017-06-04 15:41
If I remember correctly Lynn had the same issue as mine. I think he was going to go back to the stock spindles and a disc kit. My spindles were already on the car when I got it so I can't say for sure what year/model and just going by what the last owner told me, he just said they were Granada but he had the work done at a shop, he's no mechanic and not much car knowledge to speak of.

You are correct sir, I ditched the spindle/disc set up from a Gran Torino (as best as I could determine) for stock spindles and a Wilwood kit. I managed to eek out 3 degrees of caster with 59 control arms.

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=6439.0
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2017-06-05 08:50
You are correct sir, I ditched the spindle/disc set up from a Gran Torino (as best as I could determine) for stock spindles and a Wilwood kit. I managed to eek out 3 degrees of caster with 59 control arms.

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=6439.0
Lynn, I wish I had thought about it at the time when you made the change but I would have liked to know what the difference was of the included angle,  stock vs the Torino vs Granada?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

robhaerr

Very cool!

Just sent you a friend request on the Facebook.

Rob Haerr

lalessi1

I tried to note the difference but it was very hard to tell. I think I posted a side by side picture somewhere on the forum but I don't know for sure. Measuring any difference was outside my tool/skill box...

Rob, if that friend request was for me, I have a "page" at the direction of a former employer but I have never used it and I don't even know how to access it. 
Lynn