News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Daily Driver Raunch Wagon

Started by gasman826, 2017-01-04 08:13

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

The Raunch Wagon has been my daily driver for four years.  It has been a very complete 'survivor' with the 'keep it running' philosophy...ain't broke don't fix it.  This winter's maintenance pick list of new door glass, new outer rockers, add power steering, cam and tri-power and fix a couple of leaks has just blown up!  I pulled the engine and trans for simple rear main R&R, R&R all the freeze plugs, spruce up the engine compartment and fix a minor transmission leak.  As prep for engine removal, I drained the oil.  I have always removed the drain plug slowly to check for coolant in the oil.  Pooo, a teaspoon of coolant came out!  So, engine tear down reveals cracked heads...and they were the good ones!

I've always wanted more power and overdrive.  I've shopped all the overdrive options.  So out with the 292 and FordOMatic and in with 351W and AOD.  I just traded three Y-Block cores for '87 351W carbureted with AOD.  I ordered Moroso front sump oil pan with the dipstick included and '63 Galaxie 289 mounts.  Today starts the engine clean up and fitment testing.

RICH MUISE

Disco ball in the garage!? Man, you farmers sure party in the winter. lol. You'll have the wagon back on the road in no time, Gary.....unless of course,......
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Long cold winters......nothing to do after the milking is done, gutters cleaned, and cows fed.....go to town (usually a bar) for coffee and talks with other farmers.  Most bars in the Midwestern area were called "supper clubs" and served full restaurant style meals.  Not at all uncommon to see a "supper club" at an intersection in the middle of nowhere.  My home town in WI (population of 972 in 1965) had five bars, four of which are still thriving. 

Bottom line, we partied in the winter, bowled, curled, and ate out regularly.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

djfordmanjack

One sweet daily driver wagon !!!!!
I'd drive it out and have a ball, whether there was a club or not :003:
a little sad to hear that the Y block is history, I am just getting in the mood for them lately. out of 6 heads I had for the other engine, 4 were cracked between valve seats.....found another good pair of 113 replacements. I'll be careful to doing the slow drain plug removal on the Country sedans 292.
there is nothing better than SBF for daily driving though. Hope it'll be back on the road by spring.

Mavaholic

Cool !!! One day if I ever get done with my Comet I will finally get started on my Ranch Wagon.

lalessi1

For whatever reason I seem to be growing fond of Y-blocks. I have only owned one and it was owned other family members since new and never rebuilt.
Lynn

gasman826

NO problem!  I have one 312 left in my stash.  I would consider trading for your FE.

SkylinerRon

Nothing sounds like a Y-Block!

Ron.

KYBlueOval

Gary..........P.M. sent to you today.

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

gasman826

finally...set the engine in last night.  Transmission in this morning.  Cross member and drive shaft a few minutes ago.

Jeff Norwell

Nothing for Nothing Gary....but I LOVE your fender covers!!!....... and yes.. the wagon is Bitch'in!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

RICH MUISE

Great idea on the tranny hoist. Looking good, Gary.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Gary, YouTube for those of us that don't face book?  See, I'm stuck in the 60s with this tech stuff.  I don't text, tweet, or twerk....looking good!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II