News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

windlace clips

Started by Randyh, 2017-01-04 19:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Randyh

Anyone know where the windlace clips like those in picture below can be found or does anyone have any that aren't needed?  I need 11

RICH MUISE

Last two or three times I said this turned out to be a bust, but, I believe I have them, problem is figuring out where. I'll look. I didn't use any of the ones that were in my car.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

those pieces are a drag.....they either rot or bend and in 2 dr cars there is no chance to hold the windlace to the b post, if people are getting in the rear seat frequently.
On the Ranch wagon I plan to use thick waterproof plywood, cut to shape and riveted or screwed to the inner lower a and b posts. Then I will be able to tack the windlace tigthly. once the side panels are in place nobody will see whats under there.

Randyh

I did see when I did a search that some people had used wood, plastic or rubber pieces fastened to the pillars to hold the windlace.  I was trying to do this car as factory correct as I can which is why I am looking for these clips.  The car was taken apart some 40 years ago so many of these small pieces were either not saved or lost.
Rich, please let me know if you do find any of these, Thanks,
Randy

Hoosier Hurricane

I have used old fan belts as a tack strip in such areas, cut and fit as needed.  Holds staples and tacks securely.   John

gasman826

I respect your efforts to restore the car as close as possible to original.  This issue is where I will disagree.  The original windlace prematurely failed!!!!!!!!  The second thing is that you are very unlikely to find original windlace.  If you find 60 year old windlace, it is rotten.  Claims new windlace as original is false.  Take your original windlace and cut it in half or better yet, try to tear it in half.  Ford made the OEM windlace with fine wire in it.  Those clips would bite in and hang on to that wire and it still failed.  Any replacement windlace will NOT have that wire.  It will FAIL.  After assembly, everyone will see the failure but no one will see the solution.  A continuous tack strip must be installed to provide a continuous backing for new windlace.  I used strips of PVC screwed and glued around the door opening.  This is no place to take a chance.  The windlace has to go in before the headliner.  If the windlace fails, the headline has to come down above the doors and will likely be damaged.  The Domino effect, new headliner, new front and rear glass seals and install.

Ford Blue blood

3X! what he said!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I did the continuous strips as well, which is why I never used what I had. My memory is telling me I may have already shipped those out to somebody here, but I'll look later if I can get my garage warm enough.

Randyh

Rich, I was searching for windlace information and see that in 2014 you sent some clips to petew so you memory was correct.

RICH MUISE

Thanks....I had checked the wanted section to a few years back, but didn't think to search.

Marc

I did not realize there was a critical difference like that between the old and new windlace. When I took the car apart I was able to save about 98% of the clips since they were all in great shape, but I think I'll have to revisit the older posts about windlace installation using the wood or pvc strips.

gasman826

...a good foundation...

cokefirst

I don't have 11, but I may have 4 or 5.  If I can find them, I will let you know and send them to you.
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

Randyh

Cokefirst, thanks I will take any you find, a few here and there will get there.
Gasman, I am sure that will work well, I will see if I have to go that way.

gasman826

This will give my an excuse to dig thought all my dusty boxes to see if I can locate some of these.  I like challenges.  While I'm looking, anything else?