News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

bumpers straitened

Started by Raven Rider, 2017-01-16 11:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven Rider

I'm needing to get my bumpers in good shape what is the customary price to get a set of bumpers straitened and re-chromed.  I was quoted 1200.00 including the bumper guards does this sound reasonable?

gasman826

Chroming is usually priced by time and materials.  The condition of an item affects the amount of time required to prep for chroming.  The more dents, gouges and bents, the more the quote.  In the last couple of years, most platers will swag prices from email pictures.  Email quotes won't cost much and it will help you get a better idea of costs.  Shipping, quality, guarantees and turn around time have value and will affect price.

RICH MUISE

X2
Jerry.....Last year I ran into a plater at the tri-five swap meet in Denver. Les here on the forum (FDLC?), and a friend from Colorado, had some work done by that shop that he was real happy with. It was a Calif. shop that does the swap meets including the one at the Scottsdale Goodguys show. I saw him there as well last year. I can't remember their name, but I believe it was D & R or D & B??
Price including shipping back to Denver was 1/2 what he was quoted elsewhere, and they just might have one already done at the swap. Swap price should be around 400ish.
As far as swap go, the Bumper Shop is who I got mine from, but watch out for the Bumper Boys.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

59meteor

I recently had the rear bumper for my 59 2 door sedan rechromed. The bumper was pretty straight, but had a couple of small dings, and the common lower edge twisting caused by the factory bumper jacks. I took my bumper to 3 different plating shops for estimates, keep in mind these are Canadian Dollar prices, our Canadian Dollar is currently worth about 75 cents US. The quotes were $925., $1000, and $700., quite a spread, and all higher than I had hoped for. Apparently enviromental costs of chemicals and disposal have really caused major price increases in my area, and likely most locations. After talking to a number of car owners at local car shows, all 3 shops had pretty satisfied customers, so I went with the lowest cost shop. Most of their work is smaller pieces, (mostly motorcycle stuff), but they do take on a few bumpers every week. It took 3 weeks, but the bumper came back arrow straight, and very shiny, so I am pretty happy, even though with taxes, the final bill was 800 bucks.
I have seen several different booths at swap meets and car shows in Washington State where trucks with California plates were full of rechromed bumpers for sale, or exchange. They said that if they don`t have your bumper on hand, you can give them your bumper, and they will rechrome it, or exchange it for one back in their stock pile, and bring it back at the next show or swap meet. Their prices were much cheaper, ranging from $250.-325. US per bumper, but I have heard mixed reviews about the quality. Some guys said their bumpers rusted or started to peel shortly after installation, others said they were decent driver quality for the money.Since I only had the one rear bumper, and it was a very good core, I didn`t want to take a chance on an exchange that had been bent, cracked, rusted, and repaired, plus the California  guys just seemed a little sketchy, I paid more, and dealt locally.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

RICH MUISE

X2 again...sounds like the Bumper Boys, amoung others, or so I've been reading for years on the Hamb. At least the guys who complained about the plating quality actually got their bumpers back.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Lgcustom

I had the bumpers on my custom straightened and rechromed here in Houston about six years ago and it was $1200 including the four guards. the quality is very good. I'm satisfied with them.