News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

T85 Transmission

Started by thomasso, 2017-01-18 10:09

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasso

I know that all E and F code cars came with T-85 transmissions.  I think they also were in 312 wagons.  Anyone know the actual factory fitment?  Tom.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

petew

I have a D code wagon with a T85 / R11 overdrive .

Oldmics

What do you mean by "factory fitment" ?

Oldmics

thomasso

What vehicles did they come in.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

JimNolan

Starting in 1955 these transmissions powered about any make and model that required a heavy duty 3 speed overdrive. Chrysler 413-426, Ford 390-427, 57 Fords. I spent $1000.00 rebuilding a T85-N transmission (including the only cluster gear left in the US for $650). The transmission would act like a automatic, downshifting into second when passing and enabled you to shift between first and second without a clutch in town.

The only fault that transmission had is that you couldn't power shift it. The "Hoosier Hurricane" begged me not to put money in that transmission if I were going to drag race the car. He said he'd spent years trying to make that transmission work for drag racing and he couldn't do it. Neither could I.

Some of the more sought-after casting numbers are the T-85-K, which came with overdrive and was used in '67 AMC Marlins with "twin-stick" shifters, and the T-85-N, which was the 1965-up Ford truck unit that came with the Warner R-11 overdrive. The overdrive units are also easily identified. The casting number is on the passenger side of the overdrive unit, and the case will designate the R-10 or R-11 model.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

hiball3985

I like the T85, started using them back in the late 60's after blowing many of the light duty three speeds. By dumb luck I ended up with one to put into my current Ranchero. A friend of mine bought a 1961 Starliner with a 390/401hp and he didn't like the OD trans, I swapped a top loader 4 speed for it. I think all T85 I have seen had the R-11, and R-10 was on the lighter duty trans. This one from the 61 has a 23 spline input, I can't remember what the earlier ones had..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

SkylinerRon

All T-85/OD's used an R-11
Most T-85's were sold with OD.
The Supercharged 312's were one of the few T-85 cars sold without OD. (Also 1962 413 max wedge mopars)
AMC and Studebaker also used  versions.

The OD's were sold with 312,332,352,361,390 and 406's with 4V or 6V in T-Bird's and Pass cars. (no 427's)
As Ford didn't put an OD behind the all syncro 3sp, T-85/OD's were used in trucks for years later.

The kickdown was from OD to 3rd gear for passing.
Clutchless shifts between 2nd and 3rd could be done below OD kick-in speed of 27mph.

This trans was the basis for the T-10 4sp. 
Very strong trans but, you need to lockout the OD for racing.

Ron.

JimNolan

The way the OD shifted was amazing to me. Unlike an automatic transmission that shifted gears without using the engine to reduce torque to allow shifting. the Borg Warner transmissions grounded out the distributor to make the engine quit pulling for a split second. And, it didn't take any longer to make the shift than an automatic. You really can't tell the time difference apart from the Automatic Transmission.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

hiball3985

T85 or T10 was still an option in 1963 with a 427. Rare because most people wanted the T10.

1963 Ford Galaxie 427 Homologation Record published by the F.I.A. documents this.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

canadian_ranchero

i have a T85 with a R10 od unit.was told it came out of a 292/272 57 ranchero

SkylinerRon

427/od never actually sold.

No 2bl car engines came with T-85

Ron.