News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Engine - transmission spacer plate

Started by Limey57, 2017-01-29 11:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

1979-1980 302 Windsor and an AOD transmission (164 teeth flex plate).  The flat steel plate that sits between the engine and transmission is missing, looking online there seems to be 101 different types for different block years and transmission type, anyone ale to advise which one I should be looking at?  I've got to buy from Summit and international shipping is expensive on these so I want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks
Gary

1957 Ranchero

gasman826

all 351w with AOD have 164 tooth flex plate and the same starter index plate.  So one that fits a 351w would be the same as a 302 and AOD w/164 tooth flex plate

Jeff Norwell

Gary.I had this problem years ago with the same set up in a 32.... I remember looking for a year trying to find the proper plate for the 302/C4 fit.The only solution is to find the manufacture year of engine and transmission...sorry.. not any real help but i remember swearing i would never use a late 302 again because of this problem.Maybe some help from Summit on there tech line(via email) may help.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

gasman826

I've found when buying an engine, GET THE PULLEYS, ACCESSORY BRACKETS, BLOCK PLATE, FLEX PLATE/FLYWHEEL, and STARTER.  I was shopping for an aftermarket harmonic damper for 351w, there was FOUR spacers available for correct crank pulley spacing!  I'm an advocate for buying the whole donor car.  I hate crate motors.  Just for fun, price a March drive set for an FE especially if you have PS and AC!!

Limey57

Thanks guys, yes, I've learned the hard way on this one!  The engine was supplied in pieces, I've had it fully rebuilt and balanced but it's only now I'm reassembling that I'm realising it wasn't as complete as I thought!  Summit have been good and suggested the correct one for a 164 tooth flex plate, just got to compile the rest of my shopping list for them and then sneak up on my credit card when it isn't looking............
Gary

1957 Ranchero