News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Just bought a 57 Country Sedan ...

Started by Kai, 2017-02-11 06:11

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2017-02-12 16:22
Very well planned to do list. that car is in good hands ! I will pm you in short about then door locks.
for now you can also look at the topic that I started.

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=6651.0

Against what some people might have stated from experience with their Coupes and Sedans, the key situation appears to be different for the wagons ( as obviously) they have no trunk and you can get inside the car even from the tailgate, so it's just another door.
So, as a matter of fact, in a 57 Ford wagon there is one ( squarish) key for the ignition lock. all other door locks, tailgate AND glovebox are locked wiht the round key. Now here comes the easy part: When you have the car, you have to removee the PSSGR (right) door lock ( very easy, only need to remove the door seal a bit and you will be able to pull a blade retaining clip).
The pssgr door lock has the door key number stamped into it. Every good locksmith should be able to reproduce a key according to that 5 digit code. I had mine even cut here in Austria.
That is a great plan that you have touring the States with your old wagon!
I'll look into my files and see if I can find the old pics of your car. It was on ebay at least twice before. It is very recognizable because of the weathered Inka Gold paint. It had the the lower quarter panels replaced and paint blended since.
Guenter
Guenter........can you be more specific about the location of the key number that is stamped into the passenger side door lock. I've looked at both door locks from my Ranchero, and I' do not see any numbers. That is not to say they aren't there.........I just don't see any numbers. Then again, my locks might not be original to the car.
Thanks
John

djfordmanjack

John and Kai, this is the location of the 5 digit code on the pssgr door lock. ( I have blanked out my own car's numbers).
Kai, make sure that your friend is careful in removing the door lock ( the spring sits between claw and lock originally, has been removed for pic). the small spring holds the claw style lever to the actual door lock. the lever is made from pewter and can easily break and the small spring getting lost. the pewter claws are different left and right side, do not interchange. make sure to get the correct one back in ( if you had both locks out) or it will not move the latch.

Ford Blue blood

The key code on the Ranchero door lock is on the "claw", it is FL***.  Nothing on the cylinder.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Kai

Thank you very much, Guenter. Jim is following us here on the forum and will take good care when removing the lock. It would really be super if I can get new keys and be good without buying any new locks.

Kai
Hanau/Germany
1954 F100, 347 SBF, 6-speed --> sold
1957 Wagon, 312 YB, 5-speed
1965 Galaxie 500XL, 446 FE, 5-speed --> sold !
1965 F100 SWB, 352FE, 3-speed, soon 331 SBF, 6-speed
1967 Mustang Convertible, 306 SBF, C4
1969 Bronco, 302 SBF, 3-speed

Ecode70D

Kai
   Ich wünsche Ihnen ebenso ein herzliches Wilkommen.    Der 57 Ford Forever Forum ist wirklich der beste forum auf der Welt.

For us English speaking guys.. The 57 Ford Forum is the best in the world.

Your Country sedan looks real nice.  It sure is a coincidence that my good friend  Günter happened
to spot it on a previous listing.  It  is good advice that he gave you about the  Petronics Ignition.  They work well when they are working.  However when they decide to quit, they stop completely and immediately.  You don't want that to happen somewhere in the Alps, unless you just happen to have a complete spare unit.  Points usually give you a warning and you can usually clean them and get running again or install a spare set that you should keep with  you anyways..   

You will find that the guys on this site are very smart and willing to help with information and guidance with your 57 Ford.

Kai

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the quick replies on my first questions. More to come soon. Please stay tuned. I need to plan what to do and what not to do prior to taking off for our first 2-week road trip in May from Chicago to Charlotte with plenty of cool stops in between. Will keep you all posted on my plans. We did a similar trip with a 50 F1 almost exactly 30 years ago. It is about time to do it again and do a lot more of that the next years. There is no better way to see the USA (than in a 57 Ford Wagon).
Kai
Hanau/Germany
1954 F100, 347 SBF, 6-speed --> sold
1957 Wagon, 312 YB, 5-speed
1965 Galaxie 500XL, 446 FE, 5-speed --> sold !
1965 F100 SWB, 352FE, 3-speed, soon 331 SBF, 6-speed
1967 Mustang Convertible, 306 SBF, C4
1969 Bronco, 302 SBF, 3-speed

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2017-02-13 08:19
The key code on the Ranchero door lock is on the "claw", it is FL***.  Nothing on the cylinder.
Found it! Many thanks!. Besides the doors, what else will this key operate on my Ranchero?

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

rmk57

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2017-02-13 06:00
John and Kai, this is the location of the 5 digit code on the pssgr door lock. ( I have blanked out my own car's numbers).
Kai, make sure that your friend is careful in removing the door lock ( the spring sits between claw and lock originally, has been removed for pic). the small spring holds the claw style lever to the actual door lock. the lever is made from pewter and can easily break and the small spring getting lost. the pewter claws are different left and right side, do not interchange. make sure to get the correct one back in ( if you had both locks out) or it will not move the latch.

Where did you get your key fob from? I kinda like it.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429