News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

What is it? fireplace.

Started by RICH MUISE, 2017-02-15 14:50

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

No new major surprises with the house inspection. He spent almost 4 hours, and when he was done walked me thru it. No major problems, just tons of small stuff from being neglected because of the owner's age. He confirmed that the (low pitch) roof had been recently replaced and had "a very expensive rubber membrane roofing on it....probably at least 30K". That is where we were an hour ago.
We thought we were good to run with it until we got a call from the realtor. The termite inspecter apparently got there about the time we were leaving. They found evidence of termites "in every room of the house with no evidence of it ever being treated." Shoot. Probably going to be a deal killer, but I'm waiting for a copy of the inspection with pics, and hopefully I'll get to talk to them so I can get up to date on termite treatment and how to/or if they can determine the actual extent of the damage.
This is the second house we've been wanting, but found out it had the termite problem. That I'm aware of, I've never had a house with them. My wife's cousin who was a realtor, says almost every house in Phoenix has had them at one time or another...no big deal if they're treated". Not sure what to think about that.
Our deadline for making changes to our proposal is 5 pm Friday. I told my realtor to get that extended if she can.
That fireplace thingy, btw is not a one piece old heavy timber...it's been fabricated from 3/4" boards...probably hollow.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Are they subterranean or the flying kind?  The key is "is there structural damage?", termites are a pain and will eat up a house in short order.  They like anything organic, sheet rock paper, wood of course, and news paper, card board and such.

Main reason I don't like slab houses.  If you're up off the ground you can at least sea the tunnels they build to get to the good stuff.  Two houses I've had have given me a termite education I would just as soon not had!  Both in VA Beach! 

Not sure why a builder would put up a house without treating the grounds.  Guess if you're building a large number of houses it would save money ($300 - $400 per site).
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Got a copy of the report last night. The inspector was very clear in stating there was evidence found in all rooms of previous infestation of subteranian termites. They also stated no evidence of treatment found anywhere. So......where did they go? As you said, the bigger question is how long where they there and what kind of damage did they do. Were they treated, when, how? etc etc.
Right now the big question for me is is there any current technology that allows inspection of structurals within walls without tearing in to walls? Lots of phone calls to make today, but Connie and I are pretty much decided to back out of the purchase unless we get some really fast and positive feedback from the seller. Not really expecting that as I'm guessing this is a surprise thing for him as well.

terry_208

IIRC sometime back there was an article about dogs being used to locate termites within a house.  No help I know but I found it interesting. 

I, fortunately, have not lived in a house with know termites.  I always thought that once an infestation started, it continued until the food supply was exhausted unless the house was tented and treated.  If the house was treated to eradicate them, the former owner had to know!

Terry

lalessi1

Termites swarm and can leave a structure completely. They need access to water so wet wood can be a source otherwise they need access to the ground. I have had houses where they have come and gone. I have found evidence of modest damage in other homes as well. Homes on slabs will have mud tunnels on the exterior in a lot of cases. I would personally get a pest control opinion.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Had lengthy discussions with both the house inspector and the termite inspector. First, apparently we only have subteranean termites here in Amarillo. Too cold for the other common species.
The house inspector was somewhat surprised as he saw no evidence of termites. He did say he was not looking for it, as termite inspections are done specifically by the bug people, but he often sees it when inspecting a house, and none jumped out at him here.
The termite inspector is just that, they do not/cannot look for structural damage...that's done by engineers and can get very costly. They only look for evidence of termites. The lady that did the termite inspection was also quite thorough and her honest, but unofficial, opinion was the house was basically sound. She said as a matter of habit over the 15 years she's been doing this, she regularly thumps on walls, baseboards, etc...anywhere she suspects damage. she said she did not find any areas substantially chewed up, and even pulled one loose baseboard off in the garage area to look behind.
So, both inspectors have unofficially said they feel comfortable with the house, no major issues, just a lot of obvious small ones.
Not sure what we're gonna do. At the very minumum we'll request the seller pay for the termite treatment, which he's gotta do anyway before he can sell the house. We may go back and relook at a previous house we were interested in.

RICH MUISE

BTW, the termite lady told me the same thing Lynn said......they''l just up and leave if there is not enough moisture present. She said it's not uncommon for a house to be vacated, and with the lack of moisture from showers, etc, they'll leave, and then come back after the house is inhabited once again.

terry_208

Termites leaving is good to know.  I hope things go well either way you go with this house.  I don't envy your move. I spent time in the military and moved every three years or less, I almost hate moving.
Terry

RICH MUISE

We told our realtor tonight to get us out of it. We're going to be back to square one looking again. I need a break...road trip this weekend.

fordaholic

Rich, I have been following you excitement with the new home. Tonite I am sure will be a little depressing for you and your family. You did the rite thing. I am sure you have heard the old saying ( better safe than sorry). I have a little story for you that might help ease that let down feeling. Where I live here in Ontario, on the outskirts of Toronto , the demand for housing is so great that if you are a buyer and want to use a home inspection as a condition of purchace, you will never buy a house. Example: As a seller , your agent puts up a sign on the lawn (coming soon) About 2 weeks later the FOR SALE sign goes on the lawn. Now an open house viewing, (heard on one in town last week that had 70 familys go through).Usually the listing price is below a realistic selling price. Now the agent says the seller will look at offers in two or three days. The buyer who wins the sale usually goes 2 to 3 hundred thousand, sometimes more, over the asking price. Now the Sold sign. Here is the kicker. If the buyer had put any conditions at all in his offer (like a house inspection) it would have been thrown out . Be thankful you have the security and ability to make use of conditions. Our market is so heated up here that unfortunately some home buyers get stuck with total disasters. If this is hard to believe , ask Jeff Norwell, he lives not too far from me. He will 2nd my story.  You will find the rite house, be patient, and good luck.

lalessi1

I have always bought houses "as is" and used it as a negotiating term. That said, I think you made the correct choice under the circumstances. Good house hunting!!! ROAD TRIP!
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Thanks, Lynn. Hopefully we did make the right decision.
At least we're not house hunting in Toronto. That's a heck of a story. I guess on second thought, I wouldn't/couldn't be house hunting there.

Wirenut

After reading the Toronto story I'm  glad we have the inspection option with home purchases here. My sister inlaw lived in Austin Texas and when she put her house up for sale it was sold within a few hours and was above asking price due to a bidding war, so it happens in areas here too but the over asking price was double digit. I am courious about the realtor fee percentage. Realtors typically get 6% of the selling price. What do they charge in the Toronto area? Rich I don't envy your having to move but in happy you'll be upgrading, I hope you are able to procure something with a nice garage or workshop for your tools and 57.

fordaholic

Typical realty fee in Ontario is 5%. The market here is totally out of control. In my area home prices have roughly doubled in five to 6 years. In our town there are not many homes that sell under one million. Without a lot of help grandkids will have to move away if they ever want to own a home.  Just crazy.

Wirenut

Wow, thanks for the info. Sellers market for sure.