News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

59 Ford radio?

Started by Limey57, 2017-02-21 16:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

Incredibly, a 59 Ford has turned up in an English breakers yard, before I drive all the way to see it, can anyone advise if the radios are the same as used in the 57's as this is about the only thing I'm missing?

The body looks sound, why it's been cut up is a mystery, I'm trying to find out the story behind it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322351082960
Gary

1957 Ranchero

djfordmanjack

that hurts..... :005:
I think the radio should fit but it has a white face instead of the black 57. the trim plate ( bezel) will not match a 57dash.
If you plan on a custom grille, take the '59 with you. it fits a 57 with some mods and looks just great.

Limey57

Any idea if the radio will fit into the 57 bezel or does it have to use the 59 bezel?
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

"If you plan on a custom grille, take the '59 with you. it fits a 57 with some mods and looks just great."
What kinda mods? I've been eyeballing the '59 grille for a foundation to build a custom grille like Bob Burgdoff's. Modifying the outer perimeter of the '57 grille would be a ton of work to replace the metal lost when the center bars are cut off.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

hollander interchange manual says that 57,58 and 59 radio interchange

gasman826

grab the core support, wiper motor, hood latch, hood latch cable

Ray

I bought an NOS 57 radio last year for my next car. I have two used 57 radios in the extra parts. you are welcome to one but you would have to have it re-furbished. I have a guy locally that can do that before shipping if you would like. let me know.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

Ecode70D

Even if you don't intend to use the grill on your car, it will certainly look nice hanging on your wall.

djfordmanjack

I will go out today and compare the 57 bezel next to my 59 dash/radio.
@Rich, I am simply talking about using the whole 59 grille as is for a mild custom look. it is not a clean, show look install though. it has the feel of a young guy's cheap and quick late 1950s mod. I like it. a few tabs need cut and the grille peaked ( inner flange shrunk in the middle). it will have an airy feel as it will leave a gap below and above. the curvature of the front splash panel does not match exactly. this is just a mockup, but pretty much what it will look like on my Del Rio.

djfordmanjack

Gary here's my investigation. I was wrong on the 59 face (dial). it is the same as on the 57, the station numbers are just slightly different, nobody will notice that. the 57 bezel will exactly fit on a 59 radio, see pics. the only difference is that a 59 has white buttons unlike a 57 has black ones. you could simply paint them to match.
pic#1 og 59 radio in dash with 59 bezel
pic#2 57 bezel on 59 radio
pic#3 57 bezel on 57 radio

Limey57

Thanks for all the responses, the seller now doesn't want to sell the radio, he wants to sell the entire dashboard for lots of money!  I only need the radio front to fill the hole in my dashboard, it doesn't have to work!

Ray, I'll send you a pm.

Thanks
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Ecode70D

Gary
    Were you able to buy anything at all?  That hood latch in the picture is a good thing to have.   It works a lot better
Than the 57 unit and is a direct bolt in.   It is what I put in my 57.  Jay 

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2017-02-23 18:29
Gary here's my investigation. I was wrong on the 59 face (dial). it is the same as on the 57, the station numbers are just slightly different, nobody will notice that. the 57 bezel will exactly fit on a 59 radio, see pics. the only difference is that a 59 has white buttons unlike a 57 has black ones. you could simply paint them to match.
pic#1 og 59 radio in dash with 59 bezel
pic#2 57 bezel on 59 radio
pic#3 57 bezel on 57 radio

Guenter,
Somewhere in the back of my fuzzy memory from the 60's I seem to recall being able to swap the white and black buttons. You have to pull on it REALLY hard and the button assembly will pop out, if you have an old one to try it  :002:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

Jim, you must be right. I think there are little steel springs inside the buttons that can be released.
Anyways. my thing is the other way around. In my Del Rio ( 2nd wagon project) I want to change all the knobs and window cranks to 58 or 59, means WHITE. White buttons on a 59 radio are just welcomed for my Del Rio plans.

hiball3985

OK, I was thinking the opposite when I changed all my 58 dash to a 57  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang