Rear Brake drums from '70 Torino 8" rear end on '57 Ford Station wagon rear end.

Started by slumlord44, 2017-02-10 23:46

Previous topic - Next topic

slumlord44

Does anyone know if this will fit? I have a '57 wagon housing that needs drums and a '70 Torino complete 8" rear end assembly. If they will fit would save me some money and give me bigger brakes. Would be using backing plates and all.

gasman826

First, nearly nothing is absolute with Ford parts interchange.  With that being said, the 9" wagon housing ends should be 'big bearing' and the Torino 8" housing ends should be 'small bearing'.  While some things interchange between a 'small bearing' 9" to a 8".  The Torino backer plates will only fit with major hole modifications.  Not only the retaining bolt size and pattern but also the bearing hole size. 

I have a pile of 9" rear ends and a pile of drums.  Come pick out what you need.

slumlord44

I would love to but you are a little too far away to make that practical. I have some used T Bird drums that are the same but they have already been turned the max. I had hoped that someone had tried it. When I finally get around to working on that project I will just unbolt one and see how it goes. New T Bird/wagon drums are availabel but not what i call reasonable. Getting close to disk brake prices.

gasman826

Your disc brake conversion conclusion was also on the tip of my tongue.  It's like remodeling your home, scope creep will kill you!  For the money spent and effort required, the disc swap would be a much better brake, easier service, lighter and readily available.  With the 'big bearing' wagon rear end, the Explorer disc brake swap would take less modification to fit the housing ends (much more work changing the parking brake system and the master cylinder to support any disc brake swap).  If your housing has been swapped out at some time in its life for a small bearing rear, the rear wheel drive big Ford cars (Lincolns, GM, CV) with 8.8 rear ends can be used as donors for rear disc brake swap.