News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Explorer rear disc brake swap

Started by CableguyJJS3, 2013-07-07 21:27

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Found the old thread that Iamflashman did on the explorer (brakes only)installation
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=2044.0
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

I just finished another Explorer rear disc brake conversion on a 9".  All the answers are already here but scattered all over and few pictures.  I installed on the Raunch Wagon so the rear is the original Early Big Bearing (EBB).   EBB and Late Big Bearing/Torino (LBB) are both the same size bearing but the retainer bolt pattern is different.  The '95-'01 Explorer/Mountaineer are the donors.  The parts are available new for about $400.  I used the backing plate as a jig.  Two bolts will align and two need to be drilled.  I used an old bearing to center the backing plate.  An aftermarket pair of LBB bearing retainers are needed because the OEM EBB retainers will interfere with the backing plate.  A pair of bearing spacers will be needed to make up the greater thickness of the backing plate so the retainer can tighten a bearing to the axle housing.  Early Ford axles have 2.089" axle 'hang out' and some information recommends as much as 2.250" hang out for this conversion.  Currie recommends 2.188".  My axles have the 2.089" hang out so the Currie spacers go in the axle housing.  This placement of the spacer moves the axle out about .210" and that leaves more than enough spline in the side gears.  If one had the longer hang out axles, the spacer would go on the outside of the bearing.  All this has to do with the parking brake shoes running in the rotor hat and the rotor centering in the caliper.

gasman826

If the axle bearings are in good condition...move on...if not, this is the time to change.  Mine were a little rough so I pressed on new ones.  Hang the backing plates.  New seals.  Spacer.  Slide in the axle and secure with the new bearing retainer.

gasman826

Pop the hat on.  New pads and calipers.  Adjust the parking brake.  New hoses, bleed and hook up the parking brake cables.

The tread width has increased .210" plus the increased thickness of the rotor...1/4-3/8" per side.  If tires were close, now they are really close.

SkylinerRon

Rich,
Converts and Retracts have the X frame with different routing.

Disc brake E-brakes are a pain. I'm fitting SuperCoupe discs to my Fairmont/Zephyr now.

Ron.

gasman826

I checked out a set of CV, GM, and Lincoln rear disc backing plates.  They are the same as Small Bearing 9s.  The rest of the components are the same as Explorer.  Just another alternate conversion source.

LOKAR makes a parking brake cable kit that makes cable routing easier.