News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wilwood front discs

Started by 59meteor, 2017-02-22 15:19

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

I am looking at converting my 59s front brakes from the stock drum set up, to front discs. I would like to retain my original spindles, and was going to order the Scarebird brackets, but after looking at the bolt on Wilwood setup, I am now considering it, although it seems to cost about twice as much. Has anybody used the Wilwood kit? A buddy installed one on a 64 Galaxie, but has not actually driven the car yet. I do have a couple friends who have installed similar Wilwood kits on a 64 Comet and a 67 Mustang,  both are quite happy with it, and say the stopping power is much stronger than the stock drums. Both of them stayed with manual brakes, I plan to as well. Thanks.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

lalessi1

I have 'em and I LOVE 'em. I replaced Torino spindles w/disc brakes with stock spindles and the Wilwood conversion. In my opinion it is the ONLY way to go with near stock wheels. The fixed calipers and 4 pistons are phenomenal.
Lynn

59meteor

Great to hear Lynn, I originally had planned to use a factory disc brake setup I removed from a 1977 TBird, but they are very heavy, and I understand that they also impact the steering/suspension geometry. The Scarebird setup looks petty decent, but I really prefer not to be installing GM parts (calipers) on my Ford! Lynn, did you use manual or power brakes, and if manual, what master cylinder did you use?
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

lalessi1

The master cylinder came from Rock Auto PN  MC36225, it is for a 67 Galaxie, disc/drum car, no power booster.

I have manual brakes with stainless brake hoses. Rock hard pedal, effort not too bad.
Lynn

terry_208

Lynn,

What did you use for a proportioning valve or does the mc have an internal proportioning valve?  Yes I'm trying to plan ahead.

Terry
Terry

lalessi1

The fronts and rears are separate, no proportioning valve needed.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

On the proportioning valve. Lynn, have you hit your brakes HARD yet? Mine has 4 wheel disc. with the proportioning valve. Before I got the valve adjusted, I had to hit the brakes hard in heavy traffic at about 40 mph. The rears locked up, and the back end of the car wanted to come around. When I got home, I turned the knob in a few turns (maybe less?) and I've never had that problem since.
I wasn't sure when I plumbed my system if I'd need the proportioning valve or not, but as someone said, it can't hurt anything.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

Honestly I have not locked up the brakes on my car as yet. When I get it back on the road after all the glass is replaced I will see what happens for curiosity's sake. I do feel that the brakes are very balanced in hard stopping so far though... :003:
Lynn

hiball3985

I have the Granada disks on front, 67 disk/drum none power master and no proportioning valve. I made my first really hard panic stop from 70 mph on the freeway about two weeks ago and no rear lock up, this was in dry weather, ( note to self: watch the traffic and not the girl in the Porsche next to you ) haven't done it in wet conditions yet.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I hate when that happens!!!... :003:
Lynn

59meteor

Well, I made up my mind, and bought the Wilwood front disc brake kit for my 59 (# 140-13653), I am not ready to do the install yet, but in looking over the instruction sheets, there was no mention of what Wilwood recommends for a master cylinder, or a suggested bore size.
Lynn, I checked out the 67 Galaxie manual brake master cylinder that you suggested, but at least according to Rock Autos website, it is for use with power brakes, and the only manual brake application for a 67 Galaxie I could find, was for 4 wheel drum brakes. Do you recall the bore diameter of your master? Did you 67 Galaxie master cyl. come with the pushrod? A power brake application would not use a pushrod, as there is a pushrod built into the vacuum booster. A friend gave me the like new man. brake master cyl. that he used on his 64 Comet, when it used to have Wilwood front discs up front, but retained the rear drums. It has a 15/16" bore. I may give it a try. Also, did you use the recommended Wilwood braided flex hoses, and if so, what length did you go with? I figure I may as well install a Line Lock and adjustable proportioning valve all at the same time.

lalessi1

I used the '57 pushrod (I think) and I bought the master cylinder on the recommendation of a fellow forum member ROKuberski who did the research. The one I bought was on closeout and it was the last one they had at the time. I bought the brake hoses from a guy that does (did)  custom hoses I found on eBay. I don't know the bore of the master cylinder. I will try to find the hose guy's business card, I was very pleased with his knowledge, attention to detail, price, and service. 
Lynn

Ray

Hey Lynn, did you use the stock 57 brake booster on that setup? I'd love to do that with mine.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

lalessi1

I have not gotten around to that yet. I am a little concerned about the amount of vacuum my engine has. I am very pleased with my brakes as they are as well. :003:
Lynn

DanTudor57

I have 11 or 13 (don't recall exact) inch wilwood disks on the stock '57 spindle. 6 piston calipers. This is their Corvette c5 or C6 kit.  Running a mopar dual MC that wilwood sells, no power. I believe the reservoir is plastic, and 1 1/8 inch bore, and it actually has the mopar insignia. Bolted right up to my '57 firewall.

I fabricated the caliper mounting bracket from 1/2 steel plate. The discs are two piece -- mounting hat and rotor. The mounting hat fits right over the stock '57 hub and is drilled for 5x4.5 and 5x5.5 hubs. Using wilwood stainless braided lines -- whatever length is offered on for their 2000 Mustang front end kits. I can go back to drums really quick if I needed to to chaneg the car's look. The whole drum assembly would bolt right back on.

This was a very easy to do. I did it about 10 years ago. It stops!

I think a picture of my red cars is posted in eth members rides section.