News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Engine/transmission seperator plates

Started by Limey57, 2017-03-09 13:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

OK, seems kinda like a dumb question, but what exactly do these do?

Picked one up at the weekend supposedly for a 164 tooth flexplate but it's a bit too small.  These plates are only thin steel and I know some who haven't used one, Ford obviously designed them for a reason, but what reason is it?  The starter bolts to the transmission bellhousing, not the plate, so what purpose do they serve?

Thanks
Gary

1957 Ranchero

thomasso

It provides proper support and sealing for the starter. Plus I'm sure Ford factored in the thickness for proper depth of the convertor.  I've seen installations without it, but I wouldn't.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

gasman826

It locates the starter...important to get the right one.

lalessi1

I always looked at these plates as a separator to isolate oil weepage from the rear main seal from the clutch? I guess I really dunno...

Lynn

Limey57

Thanks everyone, I'll track down the right one
Gary

1957 Ranchero

gasman826

Even though a thin piece of metal, some call it a block protector.  If the flywheel broke or blew up, debris would be inclined to slide to a weaker place to come out...preferably the bottom of the bellhousing.  Quicktime (aka Lakewood) calls it a block plate and is nearly .250".  I lean toward the OEM engineers were much more concerned about proper starter alignment rather than saving your block from a catastrophic loss.  The only bellhousing catastrophic loss I've experienced was a starter drive gear.  It banged around in the bell a couple of times and exited via the inspection cover.  In my limited experience, the block plate did its job.

Ford Blue blood

I'm with the starter location bunch.....not really strong enough to contain a flywheel come apart...IMHO
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II