News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

58 Sedan Delivery (too low?)

Started by highpockets, 2017-03-13 15:00

Previous topic - Next topic

highpockets

I had posted on here earlier about my switching to Aerostar front coils on my 58 Courier. It has settled some in the last few weeks and now I am wondering if it is too low. The tires/wheels I intend to run are a little taller,,,1 1/2" front, 1" rear so that will change it a little. I still need to add fluids, hood, battery, gas, so that might change it a little also. I have been thinking about putting a spacer in the front to raise it an inch or so. It seems too low to me but I am so used to seeing it higher. The more I get used to it, maybe it's OK as is. Any opinions? Pics attached. OH...the exhaust is not hooked up,,,hence the stupid looking hanging tail pipes.

hiball3985

Everyone will have a different opinion on what is low or too low. For me I'm more concerned on how well it aligns and performs rather then how it looks. Pictures are deceiving but from the second picture it looks like way to much negative camber???

PS. Courier looks awesome
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

highpockets

I have not had it aligned yet and it will be a while. But, the bottom a frame (control arms) appear to be pretty level. Somewhere, I remember reading that this is what you should want.

Swank

stance looks good to me.  you got a lot of speed bumps around town?
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

RICH MUISE

I agree with Jim....."too low" is a driving/handling issue, not a visual thing. I know most of the guys that like them slammed are willing to sacrifice their ride quality, but I'm not one of them.
Visually, the car looks right to me as far as ride height, but I need to throw in a BIG heads up here......I was at the point you are now a little over a year ago except I had new tires on the car. I had the car aligned even though I knew changes were going to be needed quickly...(mine was too high in front.) Anyway, to shorten the story, later I put aerostars with spacers in, and it dropped it way too much, but I thought I'd drive it awile to see how it actually handled. I was pretty sure it wasn't going to work for me (it didn't), so I was trying to save the alignment costs.I drove it less than 100 miles when I blew a front (new) tire at 70 mph. I had worn the inside edges on those new tires down to steel cords on both tires! Weird because the steering and handling felt close to right during that time.
Anyway, don't drive too much before you get an alignment!! I was lucky...it only cost me two new tires and a tow.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

slumlord44

Too low for my taste but if you like it and can get it to drive and ride to suit you its all good. Sure would like to have a '57 Ford like that.

ragtop

I went up with my 57 rides and handles good

suede57ford

It's ok for it to sit low. Most will think it looks better that way.   I would wait until you get the tires you will actually use before changing the springs.  Just a slightly taller tire may put it where you like. 

Seems I always have to change the height of a build when changing wheels to get the right look. 

If it still seems a little low, you can stick a spacer under the spring and that might go up another inch, and compensate for the extra weight your going to add.

Alignment should not be too much of an issue.  I always try to add as much caster as possible to the alignment and use modern alignment specs, since we know use radial tires.   Our cars do have an issue with not being able to add much caster where the upper control arm mount is, as they were into effortless steering with bias ply tires, not high speed stability.

If you at pretty low, it helps to trim some off the lower control arm bumpers.   Making it about half height gives more travel.

I make a habit of rolling the front fender lips flat during the body work stage on most cars now.   You just never know what wheel tire and height combo you may do in the future as trends change.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

highpockets

Quote from: ragtop on 2017-03-14 14:50
I went up with my 57 rides and handles good

Wow,,,that 57 is NICE. I found that yesterday somewhere doing a google search and really admiring it. Nice job.

lalessi1

My Aerostar springs set my car too close to the bump stops so I added spacers. I will go to dropped spindles and stock springs at some point. "Too low" is a function issue for me.
Lynn

jvo

Like others have stated, it looks good visually.  Can't be too low for me in that respect.  As long as it is drivable, and you aren't scraping bottom you will probably be a happy camper.  Looks really good to me.
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

Ford Blue blood

If they were meant to be up in the air they would have wings!:<)
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Rowen55

I have them in my 55CV. Dropped the front 3 1/2". Personally, I like it low, and yours looks way kool!! 👍

Jeff Norwell

if it don't bottom out....drive it.Looks great.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com