News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Steering wheel/shaft differences?

Started by jthesby, 2017-03-13 22:32

Previous topic - Next topic

jthesby

Ok, so I decided to upgrade to a steering box/column out of a '59 for my '57. Other than having to do a couple small things it went rather well.  Until I tried to slide my old wheel on.
It turns out the steering wheel/shaft splines are different?! Has anyone ran into this? The original '57 shaft and wheel have 1 large spline top dead, and the rest all small, so that it can be clocked anyway. The '59 is small spline the entire circumference? What gives? My dilemma was made even worse when I tried to order a restored wheel for a '59, guy swears up and down it came out of a '59 Ranchero, but it had the same splines as my old '57.
Is it a power steering verse manual thing? Did my box not come out of a '59? Help?

canadian_ranchero

when i did my steering box swap i found the same problem.what i did to fix the problem is i got a small file that was the same as the splines on the shaft and filed the steering wheel to fit.one spine at a time

hiball3985

I had the same issue when I put in a 58 box, I just filed out the one large spline on the 57 wheel. If your wheel is a 59 as the guy claims it should have an extra hole for the horn contact and spring.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

jthesby

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2017-03-14 07:39
I had the same issue when I put in a 58 box, I just filed out the one large spline on the 57 wheel. If your wheel is a 59 as the guy claims it should have an extra hole for the horn contact and spring.

Thats the other oddity, it does have a hole, but the insulating bushing doesn't fit, and it looks like it's all buggered up.

jthesby

Here's the one that came with my '59 steering column/box:

Here is the "restored" '59 wheel that I purchased, guy swears it came out of a '59 Ranchero, and that I'm wrong, and that I need to check my splines again.

These two wheels are the same diameter, while my '57 wheel is a hair smaller.

hiball3985

I wish I could help further but I really have no experience with the 59 wheel. The photo of your original 59 wheel looks correct to me, same spline as a 58. The restored wheel has the wide spline like a 57 wheel. So I'm a little confused too!
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

jthesby

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2017-03-14 11:44
I wish I could help further but I really have no experience with the 59 wheel. The photo of your original 59 wheel looks correct to me, same spline as a 58. The restored wheel has the wide spline like a 57 wheel. So I'm a little confused too!

Lol, well, I'm at least glad to confirm that I'm not entirely going insane!

lalessi1

I have a '59 wheel in my car with a '58 box, no problems (in my memory). Now that is a seriuous caveat!!!
Lynn

Jeff Norwell

I had the same issue using a 57 wheel on my 58 column...asking Jay
s advice(and others here) I used a small jewellers file and made a cut on the flat spot you have shown.
20 minutes later the wheel was on.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2017-03-14 07:39

Whoops.Jim had already answered...sorry!

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com