News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Y block oil pump leak

Started by chapingo17, 2017-03-14 00:09

Previous topic - Next topic

chapingo17

I have a 57 fairlane I keep on installing different types of gaskets, rtv by itself, rtv and gasket. I keep on getting a leak  at the oil pump seal. Any tips on what to use? Keeps on leaking oil no matter what I use.

hiball3985

Are talking about the gasket between the pump and block or the round seal on the oil transfer tube behind the big nut?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

chapingo17

I'm talking about the seal between pump and block.

hiball3985

From here I can only guess. If both surfaces are flat it should seal with a gasket, I never use RTV  or other sealer on that gasket. Is it possible one or more of the bolts are too long? Dirt or something in the bottom of the threaded holes preventing the bolts from reaching full clamping force?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

chapingo17

Next oil change I will check for flatness on oil pump's surface and maybe block.

Hoosier Hurricane

Look carefully at the back corner of the engine.  If the rocker cover has a leak in the lower corner, it will run down over the oil pump before it drips off.  Also, make absolutely sure that there isn't a piece of old gasket stuck to the block or pump.   John

chapingo17

I did notice the valve cover.

clusterbuster

I will go with the Hurricane and others. After doing all you have done, I would think you have a leak elsewhere. I don't think the block would warp at that area.

Hoosier Hurricane

I had another thought.  Make sure the oil filter adaptor plate is not leaking.  A common spot for a Y Block oil leak.   John

jumping jack flash

And don't over tighten the nut that secures the pick up tube to the pump. It is a common mistake that splits the rubber seal.

chapingo17

I will start from the beginning and figure out were the leak is coming from will keep up all posted.

chapingo17

I found a small leak coming from the oil pump but most of it is coming from the plate oil filter attaches to. I have tried different things to seal it but is not working. I seated o-ring multiple times but no luck. Coat it with high tack but nothing works.

Marc

I had a similar problem years ago. If I remember correctly there's an article on the y-blocks forever forum that describes how to check your oil filter adapter to verify it's not warped. In my case I tried the same things you tried, but finally was able to fix it by using the gasket they sell to fit under the old canister style filter housing. Not sure how that's different than the gasket they sell to fit under the adapter, but it did the trick. Don't use rtv or anything on the gasket, just a light coat of oil.

chapingo17

Thanks for the heads up. I will look into that.

geraldchainsaw

i guess someone better explain to me how u an check the oil pump all the time,  i thought it was inside the oil pan,  sounds more to me about the oil filter and not getting  the gasket off  the oil filter and stuck on the block,  and u might not have noticed when u changed oil filters,  like i ssaid someone explain to me about whetre the oil  pump is on the outside?,  thanks    jerry