News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1996 Bronco statring problem.

Started by Mavaholic, 2017-03-16 12:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Mavaholic

I have a 96 Bronco with 5.8 When cold, it starts and runs great. After reaching normal operating temperature, it still runs great until I shut it off and let it sit for a bit. Like going into a store. Then trying to restart, it acts like it is trying to run on a couple of cylinders. Sometimes after chucking along in this state for 10 seconds or so it will either die or catch and run normal. If it catches, it runs great again. If it dies, usually it will not start again until the engine has set and cooled for about half hour.  No codes are being set. I've replaced all ignition parts, and after some internet searches, the fuel pressure regulator.

Thanks for any help

RICH MUISE

??? Vapor lock? Is your gas tank vented? Next time check the schraeder/bleed valve on your fuel log (assuming you have one)to see if there's air in the line.
Years ago I had a first year Plymouth Voyager that on a warm day would vapor lock if we had the gas cap tightened. Same symptoms as yours. LOL>>>>nowadays if you leave the gas cap loose, your check engine light will come on.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Mavaholic

I would think vapor lock should not be a problem on fuel injected cars. I bought a pressure gauge and found fuel pressure less than half of what it should be. Looking like a the in tank pump. Always a fun thing to change especially on a 32 gallon tank which is just about full.

RICH MUISE

My 4.6 has a factory fuel pressure regulator on the fuel log. Did you check the pressure before or after the regulator if yours is so equipped?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Mavaholic

Yea, I finally broke down and bought a pressure gauge. Found out key on, engine not running. pressure was only 15psi when cold, and 7psi when warmed up. Supposed to be 30 psi. Changed the filter, it was the original and I was hoping, but not to be. Bad pump. Pulled the tank today. Was a royal pain because it has a 32 gallon tank and was almost full. Then it also being a northern truck all its life, most of the bolts had to be cut off. But finally got it out. The locking ring and tabs on the tank are rusted away. So ordered new stuff today. Also have to repair the rear mounting plate on the frame and skid plate. Both are swiss cheese. Fun fun fun. Sometimes I wish I was a computer geek instead of a car nut.

Custom_Shelby

Got any pic's of your Bronco?  XLT or Eddie Bower?  Been looking for a 96 (last year they were made), but sounds like with all the rust ect. from the environment it's been in you have your hands full.

Mavaholic

This is my 4th Bronco. I had a 78 custom, 79 XLT, 96 XLT (should have kept that one), and another 96 Eddie Bauer (current one). Its too rusty to restore. I will keep patching and driving it till the body falls off. In the mean time, I will keep my eye out for a good deal on another 95/96.

Mavaholic

All rust repairs done, new tank and pump is installed, and problem is fixed. Yaaaaa!!!!  On to the next project which is converting my 57 clock to a battery operated one.

lowrider

I feel your pain repairing your Bronco. While working at Ford dealers it seemed like every Bronco that came in that needed a fuel pump had a full tank of gas and were a rusted pos.

Charter

I just have to add to this thread. My 95 full restoration. It was in the Carlisle Truck Nationals in 2016, Building T, Bronco 50th anniversary. Is it black or is it blue ? 5.0 5spd

CobraJoe

A lot of guys cut an access panel in the floor to get to the pump without dropping the tank: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/15-general-discussion-bronco-wheeling-related/204922-fuel-pump-access-panel.html

Here's a before and after of my 96 that I built last summer:

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Charter

Man that's nice. Does Mass give you grief ? PA would have a fit. Bumper height, head light height, tire width. PA local cops suck. Staties not bad for the most part. I had a 68 highboy lifted 3 in sus. 3 in body and 38 swampers. 12 in steering wheel. when tickets were 25 per violation I didn't care. They are now 125 and that's to much. Mine is still stock height which hampers the judge's. It is a trailer queen. I may lift it some, one day.

CobraJoe

I put the sticker on it the day before the inspection system changed over, so far, so good. I'll probably have a problem next October when I get it inspected again.I'll keep you posted.  :003:

I run the 37's on it to plow:

I sold my 93 last year, I pulled the 37 Swampers and put the 35 BFG's back on it.

I never had an issue in the 23 years I owned it. Here's a pic of it a few years back:

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Ray

Had two, a 1978 with a 302. used oil from new but ran great. Second one was Bill Stroppe's personal truck, a 1994, appliance white, 351. We called it Elway because it was a slow white Bronco. Good times.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

Charter

Elway. That's funny. O.J.'s Bronco was slow -n-white from what I can remember to. I had an 85 that couldn't get out of it's own way. I put 3.55's in and that solved that. I am running 3.55 and yukon locker in the rear trutrac in the front. L&L traction bars to keep the rear planted. Perked up my 5.0 alittle so I could haul my bumpers. LOL. Super cool Joe I really like the orange one. If you come down to Carlisle this year I'll be at both the Ford Nationals and the Truck shows.