News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Body Roll

Started by fordaholic, 2017-03-17 19:32

Previous topic - Next topic

fordaholic

Can someone help me here. What I would like to know is; how much tire to fender clearence is required to compensate for body roll on a 57 custom. I am using stock springs (stiffened up for ride height), using cal track bars and will have 500+ hp.  I am size  ing tires now and have tried 255 60 15 on 8" . They give me about 3/8 clearance at the fender. Is it enough. I refuse to cut or roll the wheel lip since I went to great pains to get them back to stock. I appreciate any experienced help I can get.  Thanks in advance.    Gary

fordaholic

Guys , I just double checked the tire I tested for sizing in previous post and it was 275 60 15 not 255 60 15. My bad. My memory is like a warranty, its only good for about a year.    Gary

rmk57

3/8 isn't enough clearance in my opinion. I have about 3/4" with a 255/15/60 M/T drag radial, but that is with a 7" wheel.  275/15/60 must have over 11" section width with an 8" wheel, I'm surprised you even got that to fit at all. I guess it depends on how much room you have on the inside. If there's an inch or more on the inside you could always get the rear end narrowed to even them up. Or use 7" wheels which give you a smaller section width or get wheels custom made with appropriate b/s.

There was somebody on here that did have your size tires but they did roll the lips.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

fordaholic

I have already narrowed the rear and modified the offset to maximize the space available. I would like to run the 275 60 15`s but, as I say , I only have 3/8. I don`t think it`s enough. On the spring side I have 1/4 which I think is OK. I am looking for somebody to say yay or nay to 3/8 fender clearance.          Gary

RICH MUISE

I would think it would depend on the type of driving you're going to be doing, but with 500+ HP, I guess we already know.
3/8 on the wheel lip, 1/4 on the spring side  obviously means you've got that tire size maxed out, with eveything shortened/offset very well to end up with that result. Judgement call. Most have said that's not enough, so the safe route obviously would be to drop to the 255 width. That will give you another 7/16 roughly per side for a total of a little over 3/4.
Without rolling the fender inner flange lip or moving the springs inboard and reshortening the housing or new wheels, you don't have much choice. I can't imagine I'd do the options to gain a tire size additional clearance.
Are your stock springs the originals, or new replacements? that's going to make a big difference on how much body roll/lean you have.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

fordaholic

I am staying with the stock springs until I finalize the tire size and and have the motor installed and the car completely together. Then I will add leaves or new springs as necessary to correct ride height. I am sure they will be at least as rigid as new.

RICH MUISE

The number one item that will cause the body roll/tire interference/fit are the old springs. Old springs and bushings are a lot more than just ride height issues. I'd Get some new 6 leaf versions from Mcveigh's, then play with the ride height if you need to.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe