News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wayne Saunders control box

Started by PIXELRAUSCH, 2017-03-20 11:28

Previous topic - Next topic

PIXELRAUSCH

Hi Guys,

we are from Germany and this is our 57 Fairlane - called Lola.

We found this Box - now my question: is this one of the 215 Wayne Saunders control boxes? The Number on the box is 194. Can you tell me where the box can be connected in the car?

Any help would be great! Thanks for your comments!

Cheers Sascha

terry_208

I would speculate that the part you show is used to trouble shoot the top mechanism.  It appears to me that you can isolate some of the different systems.  The top switch simply, IIRC, powers the system and the different relays are activated progressively as the process continues.  I don't know where the device is to be inserted into the system, perhaps in place of the main switch? As I stated this is my speculation!

That is a nice looking car!
Terry

djfordmanjack

!!
Servus Sascha ! erzaehl hier besser nichts ueber Deine anderen automobilen Leidenschaften.... :002: 57 Fords only ! :003:
You might want to introduce yourself and the Skyliner in the members rides !
Guenter

ps looks like the control box was permanently attached to the car. see the spray on carpet glue ?

cokefirst

Hello, this was made by a guy in Southern California.  There is a second harness that attaches to the relays or "Brain" of the car.  This unit allows you to bypass all the limit switches and energize the individual motors.  It is NOT made to be permanently attached.  If you do so, you risk damage to the top as you do not want to operate the motors out of sequence for ANY reason.  I have owned retractables since 1972 and sometimes with age or lack of use the switches don't make proper contact.  This allows you to operate the top by bypassing all the limit and sequence switches. 

There are several ways to work the harness.  Some people remove the rear ash tray and have the harness under the ash tray cover.  Others let the connector for the harness stick out in front of the rear seat.  DO NOT leave this hooked up all the time.  If you hit the wrong switch it can do serious damage to the top mechanism.
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

SkylinerRon

cokefirst is correct about the box. There is a wiring harness that attaches a lead to each of
the 10 relays in the box behind the rear seat for activation if any of the systems adjustable
switches don't function correctly.

I'd run the harness under the carpet to the front seat area.

If you found the box in the car the other harness may be already hooked up to the relays. Pull the rear seat and check.

Goodluck,

Ron.

PIXELRAUSCH

ok. thanks so much.
the connector is under the ash tray, relays under the rear seat.
the best - it works!!!