News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

autolite 2100 ...?

Started by Swank, 2017-03-21 12:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Swank

afternoon,

pulled the carb off to get to checking it out.   assuming it's an autolite 2100 since everything on the car had been baseline factory so far.   started looking for a rebuild kit, but saw someone had said the 2bl in '57 was a one year run, then both macs and dennis-carpenter only has kits for 49-56 then 58-59/74, ...something like that, specifically leaving 57 out.  autozone says they can order one, it'll be here overnight for 17 bucks, so that seems suspicious.

is the autolite 2100 for 57 a specific version or can i just grab any 2100 kit?,  ..if not, where's a good place to find this thing?  just trying to get the original stuff to run.

thanks
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

hiball3985

Looked at Mikes and he list the 57 as that year only and list the reason why.
http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Motorcraft-2100-2-Barrel-Carburetor-Kit_p_1006.html
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Swank

ok, greatly appreciated.

i'll have to pull it apart some to see if i have a 57, id tag is gone.  the gasket on the spacer is a different cut.   i'll look for that longer pump stem on mine though.

gives me a place to start and good to know im not chasing shadows.

thankyavermuch
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

djfordmanjack

Great info Jim, thanx a lot !

Swank

update on the carb ID.

after doing a bit of stare-and-compare, looks like the carb has been swapped out to an early 70's 2100.

comparing the one year specific '57 kit for the 2100 from Mikes Carburetors with the service manual reveals the longer fuel pump chamber requiring the longer stem in the kit.

mine has a flatter chamber and no stem on the diaphragm. it also does not have the eternal bowl vent.  but it does have the added Choke Pull Off.  the only legible markings is 1.23 which should be the venture and matches with the rates and looks of the early 70's motorcraft/autolite 2100's.

luckily Mikes Carb has a kit that includes all of the needed parts along with brass bowl and a couple things extra, ...since his videos was so informative, i'll be hitting them up later today.

thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

hiball3985

Glad the info helped and you got it sorted out. People like Mike that specialize in carbs have much better knowledge then the numb nuts at Autozone etc..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Swank

I can tell you Mike's is dang fast.
got the kit in hand, ...and everything is there.

-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

hiball3985

Quote from: Swank on 2017-03-25 20:33
I can tell you Mike's is dang fast.
got the kit in hand, ...and everything is there.
Thats good to hear, I've also had great service the few times I have used him and the quality seems to be better then the auto parts store kits. Also a great source for individual parts if you don't need a complete kit. I've bought many bowl gaskets for a Holley 1904 1V from him when I didn't need the whole kit..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

racton

:unitedstates:Where do I find the numbers that identify the carb.?

hiball3985

If it's a Holley it should be stamped on the air horn. Just an example not the correct number.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

racton

:unitedstates: It is not a holley.it had the tag on top but it was illegible.I will have to match it up with a kit  thanks

Swank

from my understanding (which I got mostly from mikes carbs website) the info is on the throttle linkage side, ...if you're lucky.

mine was missing the tag, and the carb id area only had a very light OA-AA imprint, which was useless.

I had to google and cross reference the general venturi sizes for specific years with available kits,  I looked at whether the bowl had an external or internal vent, with the choke pull off valve by the opening.  all these things seemed to line up on mine for an early 70's autolite.  haven't gotten a chance to de-crude the thing, so we'll see if I guessed right.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

Swank

Just to highlight how slow things can get, im posting on my original carb thread from a few (hundred) days ago.   Getting dangerously close to this car moving again though.

Quick question, the pipe on the passngr side of the carb in the photo,  would this be a vacuum line by chance?  (Early 70's autolite 2100)

Nothing was attached when carb came off.   Manifold vacuum went to wipers, nothing went to distributor advance.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

dgasman

That is ported vacuum ( no vacuum signal at idle)  for the advance on the distributor .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

Swank

Excellent.  Thankyavermuch, ...just what i needed.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)