News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57ranchero ???

Started by Charter, 2017-03-22 20:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Charter

Hello. I'm a newbie here and to the 57 world of ford. A F100/250 Bronco man mostly. Then I came across this red over black 57 Ranchero ( still a Truck LOL ). It has manual steering and a 400/C6. It runs ok. I have 77 carbed 460 under the bench that I may swap in. Is that a simple swap with the 351M/400 ? The Bendix power steering box will it fit with a set of headers ? I ask these questions because I saw this same set up in a 55 delivery sedan. But that's a 55. Is the 57 engine compartment measurements the same as 55 ?

SkylinerRon

The engine mount crossmember is in the same place.
The 57 engine compartment is wider than the 55.

Ron.

RICH MUISE

Welcome.  As Ron said, I believe the '57 bay is wider than a '55, but I'm not sure. I'm surprised what Ron said about the crossmember being in the same place though. The only reason for that statement is I know that the WIDE 4.6 mod motors (mine and others here) will fit in the '57's, but not in '56 or older without major chopping up of the crossmember and frame. Most that have done the 4.6 in a 56 or older have opted to go with a fatman subframe. I know your not talking about a 4.6, I'm just saying there's room for them in a '57 without major mods, but not older. Just a how-much-room-is-there? comparison.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Charter

That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks. I will go up to get a lot of pics to duplicate this in my 57. I believe the headers they used have the B&M logo plate on the second tube on the driver side. It is a power steering box. The lines run right down the frame rail into the round ford pump. Super clean. I went on L&L products page. They have motor mounts that swap a 400 to 460 for a 79 F150. Since I have a 400 already in the car this should be an easy swap. Any advise for this is welcome. I want to add power disc brakes and electric wipers as well.

SkylinerRon

Rich,
The tube crossmember locates the Y-Block and FE in the same place on
54-59 chassis. The lower control arm pivots on it the same also.
Why you would have to cut the frame on a mod motor install
on some and not the others could be a firewall problem.
I am not familiar with mod motor oil pan designs but I would mod the pan rather than cut a frame!

Goodluck,

Ron.