News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 fairlane lower control arm shafts

Started by chapingo17, 2017-03-23 01:48

Previous topic - Next topic

chapingo17

I will start replacing lower control arm bushings. Would I be able to use the same arm shafts? Just bought bushings not sure if I would need shafts too? If so where can I buy them at a good price?

lalessi1

You should be able to reuse the shafts, the bushings don't wear on the shafts. There are repops available though, not sure where you can get them off the top of my head but I remember seeing them...
Lynn

RICH MUISE

X2. Seems like the lower shaft kits were 60-70 bucks. I replaced mine, but didn't have to as the old ones were not worn. LOL....I also replaced my top shafts at an overpriced 180.00 EACH. As it turned out, the old ones were actually .001 larger dia than the new ones, so those were not needed either. I got mine I think at Concorse, but they traditionally are not the best priced on stuff.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

chapingo17

I finished replacing lower bushings. What a task!!!!!! When I replaced & install new bushings onto control arms they fit kind a loose. I pressed them in but when bolting them back into place I notice they actually fit half way in the control arm is this ok? Also they fit kinda loose is this normal? This is the first time I had to install control arm bushings. I was thinking of maybe welding the onto control arm. I suppose they should fit snug.

hiball3985

They shouldn't be loose. Either the holes in the arms are worn or the new bushings are the wrong size. Were the old bushings tight and have to be pressed out?

I have a friend building a Ranchero and I noticed his bushings were tack welded, that was a first for me, never had seen that before. It was that way when he got it so he had no idea when in the past it had been done.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

chapingo17

They came out like butter. I'm going to weld them on. The holes get worn out. I will have mine welded on. Is a big job to replace these.

hiball3985

If you weld them I would suggest using some kind of shaft through them to keep them aligned? If the welding distorts the alignment a little they will be a bear to get assembled.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

There is no reason why those holes would get worn out. The only wear on them is from pressing the bushings in and out, none from driving the car. Welding isn't going to be good for the rubber either.
Someone asked if the bushings were ok "halfway in" if I'm understanding that correctly. The bushing does not go all the way in, there are raised ribs that stop the insertion at the correct depth.

chapingo17

Ok great information. I will run the car without welding anything on and see how I feel it. If need it I will weld them on
Initially I decided to replace bushings because when driving I felt as if something was lose and while inspection notice wear on bushing metal outer sleeves.

lalessi1

The only thing that moves on the lower control arm bushings is the rubber, the outer metal sleeve is pressed in, the inner metal sleeve has serrated ends so it doesn't rotate on the shaft. It is a strange design (to me) but common if not almost standard.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Also, just to make sure, the upper control arm bushings are pressed in from the outside,but the lower bushings are pressed in from the inside.

chapingo17

OK I did notice the serrated inner shaft. Weird design.

hiball3985

Yes it's a strange design to me too. It would seem like the inner metal sleeve would rotate on the shaft but there would be no way to lube it. Maybe when the rubber hardens over age it no longer flexes and then the outer sleeve begins to rotate in the arm causing the hole in the arm to wear?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang