News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Station wagon parts

Started by 57fordwagon, 2017-03-23 06:17

Previous topic - Next topic

57fordwagon

I'm down to a couple items I need to complete my '57 Country Sedan wagon that are elusive.  I'm assuming nobody offers rear outer door handles for the four door cars and wagons, so it appears I'll have to get mine plated, which is actually more expensive than buying the new ones that are available for the front doors.  More importantly, I need to find an intact rubber gasket for my tailgate handle.  My gasket came off in dried, crumbly pieces. If anybody has any leads for new rear door handles or where I might be able to find or salvage a decent tailgate handle gasket that is in one piece, I can sure use some help.  Thanks.
'40 Ford Convertible
'41 Ford pickup
'51 Ford F1 pickup
'57 Ford station wagon
'70 El Camino

RICH MUISE

Welcome to the forum. Have you tried the Dennis Carpenter and classic auto parts for the seals?
Their contact info is in our links list of suppliers. I'm not sure if the wagon is the same as the Ranchero. DJ may chime in with some info..he's working on a wagon right now.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

welcome to the forum! Please introduce yourself and your car, possibly with pics in the members rides or project section.
I own 2 57 wagons and there are many other members with wagons and Rancheros.....they are just great cars !
To the best of my knowledge nobody makes the tailgate handle gasket. it is a molded 3 dimensional piece and most people reuse their old one. Mine was crumbled into 100 pieces so what I did is using black self adhesive foam. I get it from the industrial store in different thickness and it is made from natural rubber, which will not soak water..... I stick it to the rear of the handle housing, so it comes off with the handle.

57fordwagon

Thanks for the welcoming words and your input.  As far as introducing myself, here's my story....when I was 9, my mom and dad bought a brand new 1957 Ford Country Sedan with a 292/stick (coral sand and colonial white).  I drove it when I was a teenager and I thought it was pretty quick; I always liked that car.  We went camping in it as a family. For my whole life, I've always loved '57 Fords; all body styles, but I always had a soft spot for 1957 Ford station wagons....the original American SUV's.   Now, fast forward.  A few years back, I tripped over a willow green and colonial white running/driving '57 wagon with a 292/stick from Oklahoma, and I was instantly in love.  It had the usual rust; I bought it and I wanted to have my local body guy do a simple cleanup and make it a driver for me.  One thing led to another and (can anybody guess how this story ends?) and the next thing I knew, the unibody is on a rotisserie and I'm shucking money like a drunken sailor.  I'm still wondering how I got here; I never wanted a restoration, but here I am.  Somebody out there can relate, I'm sure.  So I'm in this all the way now.  I'll be using it to tow a restored '60 Shasta camper trailer.  Yes, I'm going to drive this station wagon, but I want it "showroom new" and I'm a detail nut.  The only non-stock detail is I built a tripower for it. I'm a hot rodder and "it's in me and it's got to come out".  What can I say. I got to boogie-woogie.

Back to the tailgate handle gasket.  Yes, the fact that it's a three-dimensional gasket makes it an issue.  I may look in Hemmings and call few salvage yards, but I like the idea of making one out of some type if adhesive foam if I fan find the right stuff.  Any leads on where I can get what you used?  I never thought about that; I'm sure I can make one if I have to. 

We're just about ready to put on all the exterior trim now, and the last phase is to assemble the interior.  Right now, I'm picking my way through all the trim details.  I appreciate the kind welcome and any help.
'40 Ford Convertible
'41 Ford pickup
'51 Ford F1 pickup
'57 Ford station wagon
'70 El Camino

RICH MUISE

It is sooooo great to see a car done the right way! You'll be glad when all said and done. Maybe broke, but glad.
DJ is from Austria, btw......so probably won't have any local-to-us sources for the foam he's talking about. I'm glad he saw your post, if anybody can figure a way to work around the not available stuff, it's him. Being from Austria, he has to do that alot.
Is the car/you still in Oklahoma? Seems like I was just asking this exact thing of somebody not to long ago. Are you on the 52-59 social club on the Hamb?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

Very nice project !!!
Isn't it annoying how we take running cars from the streets and pump thousands of $ into them, just to have them off the road for years or decades....it even happens to the best of us ... :003:
I got warned by many guys on here some years ago not to disassemble my Del Rio. Well it's lying in the shelter in 1000 pieces... :002:
congratulations you made it that far!
Getting back to the gasket topic. It is true that I bought my stuff from a local machinery equipment store here in Europe. it comes in many different sizes starting from 1/16 thick and every other 3/64th ( metric in millimeters).
You could very well use Neoprene, but with natural rubber foam I love the fact that it is water repellent. It will never soak or hold water. I am positive that this is available in the US as well. Try contracting business, heavy machinery supply, technical rubber shops aso. it is CHEAP and comes in 30 ft rolls, but you can also have it (water)cut from flat stock.
I used thicker stuff to fill up the factory 'recesses' ( hollow parts to the rear) and then something like a 1/8x3/8 ( 3 by 10 Millimeters). Here's how I did mine.
click on the pic to enlarge.
Guenter

57fordwagon

Thanks, Rich and DJ...  Rich, to your question, I'm in CT. A local guy brought it back here from Oklahoma and I bought it from him. The engine ran great and I envisioned it as a car I could just "clean up and drive". Right after I got it, I built the tripower for it.  Then I sent it to the body shop to get "fluffed up", but instead, my wallet got flattened.  I'm now finally getting down to the short strokes.  Regarding your question about the HAMB, no, I'm not involved with that site.

DJ, I very much appreciate your input on this tailgate handle gasket problem, and I'm going to search the internet to find the right stuff to use.  You've really been a big help.  I hadn't thought of making my own gasket because of the 3D shape, but now I'm all over it.

Looks like I'll buy new front door handles and get my rear door handles replated.  I can get new front door handles for $130/pr. Having two door handles replated will cost $75 each, $150 for the pair.  I can't believe how chrome has gone through the roof.  Just had both halves of my grille rechromed and at cost about $500. I was flabbergasted.

I was lucky enough to find replated bumpers and bumper guards a few years back at Carlisle. Glad I don't have to bite that bullet now.

Which reminds me, if anybody needs to have their stainless trim straightened, dings removed, or restored, I sent various pieces to Resto Trim in NY, and they did an absolutely beautiful job.  I also sent them a dented rear bumper guard and they took the inner bracing out of the guard, straightened the bumper guard, then re-welded the inner bracing back in and replated it.  I can't say enough about their work. A top notch trim restoration service. 
'40 Ford Convertible
'41 Ford pickup
'51 Ford F1 pickup
'57 Ford station wagon
'70 El Camino

petew

Jim, welcome to the forum . Some really sharp guys here .

Pete

57fordwagon

I'm learning that.  I did some research on here this morning regarding he installation of a 302/351W engine, and there is a lot of information to be absorbed here.  Glad I found you guys.
'40 Ford Convertible
'41 Ford pickup
'51 Ford F1 pickup
'57 Ford station wagon
'70 El Camino

hiball3985

Welcome, Beautiful job you are doing on the wagon. Try to keep the Y as long as possible :003:. I wish I had started mine earlier in life, but at my age the time and money aren't there so I just made a driver. I grew up with 57's also, first one was my dads new Custom 300 in 1957 when I was 10. I didn't own my own until 1966 and then 3 more Custom and 3 Rancheros later. I only dreamed of having another later in life and just luck I ended up with the present one a few years ago.

Guenter: great idea on the gasket, I'll have to rethink mine now.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

Quote from: 57fordwagon on 2017-03-24 06:05
  I can get new front door handles for $130/pr. Having two door handles replated will cost $75 each, $150 for the pair. 

If I would have to make a decision between $130 Chinese pewter and $150 US chrome on original FoMoCo handles.....well....

I don't have anything against Chinese people, but I'd pay the American shop 200 anytime....

57fordwagon

Hey Hiball 3985, I'll bet you and I are about the same age.  I'm very happy with the 292 in my '57 wagon, don't get me wrong.  The tripower isn't final jetted, but it ran great before my unibody ended up on "the skewer". 

I'm just thinking ahead here.  I'll be moving (from CT) to Florida in the very near future and will be towing a restored 2200 lb Shasta Airflyte trailer to vintage trailer rallies with this '57 wagon.  I do hope to keep the 292. Just hope it's got the ooph.
'40 Ford Convertible
'41 Ford pickup
'51 Ford F1 pickup
'57 Ford station wagon
'70 El Camino

57fordwagon

Hey DJ.... I ordered some 1/8" thick adhesive-backed rubber today that I think may work. It's rated at at a 50 durometer, if I remember correctly. If it's good, I will share photos. Thank you again.
'40 Ford Convertible
'41 Ford pickup
'51 Ford F1 pickup
'57 Ford station wagon
'70 El Camino

57fordwagon

One more thing....there seems to be no four-door REAR door handles available that I can see anywhere.  They are definitely different than the front door handles, although at first glance, they look identical.  I almost got fooled.  They have a small cast-in "pin" on the end opposite end of the button end.  I sent mine back out for re- plating.
'40 Ford Convertible
'41 Ford pickup
'51 Ford F1 pickup
'57 Ford station wagon
'70 El Camino

hiball3985

I think the wagons had the same rear end gears as the rancheros mine are 3.70 and would have no problem pulling a 2200lb trailer, wish I had a classic one to pull. I don't think you will have any problem..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang