News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Station wagon parts

Started by 57fordwagon, 2017-03-23 06:17

Previous topic - Next topic

John Palmer

Welcome from another wagon guy.

I'd take a look at McMaster Carr on line, for the rubber gasket material.  They have a very wide assortment of all the weird parts that we used to find at our local hardware stores.

Mcmaster Carr even stocks the very hard to find real Galvanized steel, or the Bronze metal insect screen for your vintage trailer Herr windows.  Good luck finding that at your local hardware today.

I rebuild, and also pull vintage travel trailers with my Ranch Wagon (351W).  I had to have the rear springs rebuilt with an extra leaf to carry the tongue weight.  My current vintage trailer rebuild is a 1948 24 foot Spartan.  I sold a 1958 Mallard, and also a 1957 DeVille last year.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: 57fordwagon on 2017-03-24 18:20
Hey DJ.... I ordered some 1/8" thick adhesive-backed rubber today that I think may work. It's rated at at a 50 durometer, if I remember correctly. If it's good, I will share photos. Thank you again.

I would be interested in what you bought and how well it works, as I have a Ranchero, and I'm  facing this same problem.
Thanks
John

57fordwagon

I believe you're right, Hiball.  I really don't anticipate a problem, especially once we get down to Florida, where it's pretty flat.  I think the 292 would do okay, especially with a 3.70 gear.

I bought an adhesive roll of rubber strip that's 1'8" thick, which I got through Graingers.  It was a lot wider than the width I need, but l'll cut it to the required width using an Olfa knife with a straight edge.  I'm not sure if it will bend, so I'll hold off on sharing for now.  I have a great heat gun, so I'm going to try a few things. I did look at McMaster Carr, but didn't see anything I thought I could use...maybe I'll go back and look again.

I notice some of you guys list other cars you have, which shows up under your name.  How do you do that?  Is that something we can do in the profile section?

By the way...John Palmer....you have nice taste in camper trailers.
'40 Ford Convertible
'41 Ford pickup
'51 Ford F1 pickup
'57 Ford station wagon
'70 El Camino

Swank

howdy 57fordwagon,

under where you log in, click the "profile" tab,
then on the lefthand side under "modify profile" click "forum profile",
a little ways down the page is the "signature" section, that's where stuff at the bottom shows up from.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

hiball3985

Just think about all the people who hauled trailers around the country with flatheads, I'm sure they were more then happy to upgrade to a Y a few years later  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

John Palmer

That's a strange site, they are stopped on the side of the road, and none of the hoods are up?

I don't "see" any hanging canvas water bags either.

That Merc is a cool looking car.

hiball3985

Cars on the side of the road with the hoods up are called Chevies :003:

I remember the water bags all too well.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Frankenstein57

Nice looking wagon build, welcome.    Mark

57fordwagon

Mark, I always liked the '57 Rancheros.  I had one, and it got hit hard; after the insurance paid off, I never got another.  The '57 Ford ranchero is the iconic Ranchero in my book very beautiful car.  My other favorite is the '72 Ranchero with that fish-mouth grille.  I had one of those with a 351C 4-bbl engine.  Wow, what a great car.  Anybody who doesn't appreciate these special Fords is from another planet.  I have a little bit if everything over the course of my life, and these '57's are the most beautiful of all.
'40 Ford Convertible
'41 Ford pickup
'51 Ford F1 pickup
'57 Ford station wagon
'70 El Camino

gasman826

I never had a early Ranchero.  I had a '67 w/390, a '72 GT w/429CJ and a '74 GT w/351C.  Fun cars.  All three sold the fastest of any car I've sold.

57fordwagon

Whoops, it looks like it was supposed to be a reply to Frankenstein.  No matter...good to talk with you.
'40 Ford Convertible
'41 Ford pickup
'51 Ford F1 pickup
'57 Ford station wagon
'70 El Camino