News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957Ford.com issues...

Started by JPotter57, 2017-03-28 15:40

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

As I was preparing for the big launch of 1957ford.com the other day, I ran into a potentially big problem.  It seems my webhosting service is Linux based, good, but does not support asp.net or Microsoft SQL, which the website was originally developed in.  My options were to scrap my hosting service, which I have paid up for 3 years, or rewrite the entire asp portion of the website, which includes all of the image handling, etc, or just use all the info from the old site and move forward into a modern package.  I chose the latter.  If you try to go to the main site in the coming days, you will find a Wordpress placeholder page there.  I am converting teh entire site to Wordpress, including all of the image handling,e tc.  It is a huge task.  instead of waiting until it is finishhed, I will launch each section as I get it finished.  For instance, obviously, the home page will come first, then the History, Paint and Trim page, model list and each of the individual pages that go with that.  Because this site had so many images, probably over 30,000 or so, that will take a little while to get done.  However, not a long time, as I am able to batch upload files, it automatically makes thumbnails for the individual gallery albums, and renames everythign for me.  I believe this will be a step in the right direction once I get it done.  I have already bought the software I need to make it look good, and hopefully soon, can start adding the content.  I have contemplated selling advertisement to pay for the site, and have not ruled that out yet.  Most of you guys are aware that this kind of site can get pretty costly pretty quickly.  John had some amount of ads on before, but if I do it, it will be in a little less intrusive way, in a sidebar specifically for ads, not just popping up everywhere at any time.  And I still may not do that.  If I do, I will limit it to items that are related to or can be used on 57 Fords, ie no condom ads, beer, aftershave, etc.  It is coming, it IS going to be great.  Artwork is on the way, and it should be stellar.  Let me hear your thoughts....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Marc

Appreciate all your work James. As far as ads, I agree that as long as they're not popping up all over the screen and are relevant to the content it's not a big deal.

junior58

With you all the way, no problem with unobtrusive advertising, especially if it is specific to us. Great work, looking forward to it.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

lalessi1

James, what a project! I think ads could actually be a good thing providing a place to introduce newly available stuff and services. Launching the web site in sections is a great plan as well. Keep up the great work!
Lynn

JPotter57

This forum is the only thing that wont change much.  The only change I have planned right now, is a new club logo, and a navigation bar that will get you to any part of the whole site from here without having to go back to the main site., maybe a slight color change to match the rest of the site better.  Whatever I do with it, the basic mechanics of the forum wont change and we wont lose any of the info that is already here, just a little visual integration...
Old, loud, and fast.

hiball3985

A few other sites I visit ( not automotive ) use sidebar adds which is nicer then the pop ups but they are only on the main page. They aren't always related to the subject of the site but easily ignored for me. It would be nice to have related content but isn't always possible, I say take anyone who is willing to pay for an ad if you can't find related advertisers..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

JPotter57

Sidebar ads is what I was conisdering, from vendors such as EMS, Dennis Carpenters, etc, if they are interested in ads
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford Blue blood

James just ignore my email....got on the site with Google.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57tudor

James,

As a dedicated `57 Fords International Club Member, I hope you don't make a complete change of the logo as you will see my dedication to the club in the picture. And no it didn't hurt.

Rick.
57Tudor
:unitedstates:

JPotter57

Now THAT is cool, man.....wow.
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

I have Just a minute, we've got to be at closing for the new house in an hour. This is the first time I was able to get on the site in a week. Firefox won't open it still, I used a different brouser this time. From Bill's post, others may have had the same issue.
Back later
:burnout:
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

chapingo17

sprink88

James, take your time, don't stress out.  We all appreciate everything you have done for us so far!
~Chris

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57AGIN

James:

Yeah, I've been going bonkers in trying to get onto the web site.  I finally talked to Rick, he laughed and told me to key into my brouser 57Fordsforever.com/index.  Sure enough up came the site and my life can go back to normal (at least for me) again.  So keep on truckn, Fordn & workn on this great web site.

Bob
57 AGIN

PS:  Yes, 57 AGIN's finally home in my garage at last.  Got it back last Friday, but haven't been able to tell anyone yet.  More of this in the proper thread.