News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Adding emergency flashers and park lights

Started by 59meteor, 2017-04-02 13:45

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

Just wondering if anybody has added emergency or 4 way flashers to their 50s Ford. I recall that Fords first use of the 4 way flashers was in 1966, with a large switch inside the glove box, afterwards they moved the switch to the steering column. I would like to add emergency flashers to my 59, but without having to install a complete aftermarket wiring harness or change the steering column. Does anybody know if somebody offers such a kit, or has wired it up themselves.
Also, has anybody changed their cars park lights to stay on when the headlights are turned on?
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

gasman826

The front marker lights can be rewired at the headlight switch.  Just move the front marker light wire from the switch to the same terminal as the taillights.  Taillights and marker lights will both work in parking light mode as well in headlight mode.

I did the four ways only once 50 years ago.  It was an after market kit.  It was an easy install with instructions but too long ago for my memory.  Several kits on eBay.

djfordmanjack

I am currently installing an emergency flasher switch, but it might be of little use for you, since I am using a European switch and I have to incorporate orange turn signals in the rear. BUT, and here is something you can make good use of:
The turn signal switch is connected to the main wire loom of car under dash with multiple oem connectors. They can easily be pulled and connectors and wires added without ever having to disturb the og wiring of the car. So please take your time and do not cut the og wires or use cheap clamp on connectors or whatever. I have a copy of the og wiring diagram, inlcuding all the wire and connector colors if needed. Can send it by email. If you are just somewhat knowledgable about car electrics you will able to pick your wires needed for the installation of the hazard switch you are going to use.
Gary is absolutely right about just connecting the park lamp wire (black and yellow conn) to the taillight terminal ( black wire) of the light switch.

Ford Blue blood

I have wired the tail and park (front) lights to turn on when in "run".  I used relays for the accessory and run power from the ignition switch.  The tail and park lights are wired through a fuse as I wanted "day time running lights".

The installation of 4 ways is very easy and there are kits out there to do the hook up.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Mine was easy......really didn't have to do anything at all!! Ron Francis express chassis wiring kits  are made for specific vehicles. I just told them I was using a '97 Mustang steering column I wanted fully functional (including the hazards). The prewired connector to the colum included the hazards, and their fuse panel had the flasher for it.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

SkylinerRon

Dietz made an add on kit for 4 ways. Maybe check under truck equipment.

Ron.