News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Generator Rebuild

Started by Swank, 2017-04-04 13:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Swank

Looking to clean up the generator.  Its ugly and the case is a bit rusty, but the whole thing checks out on the meter as good.

Anybody have any alternative "tool" suggestions that will remove those field coil screws from the housing?  It's those square indent screws thats bigger than a 1/4 and smaller than a 3/8th drive.  The book has an allen type bit in a press that you put a wrench on.  Dont have those.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

djfordmanjack

you could weld a smaller hex nut ( 3/8 or 7/16" wrench size) to it ( around perimeter, so not to disturb the square) and after all is said and done removing and reassembling, grind off the welds.

terry_208

Could it be 5/16"?  They were used in the 40' and early 50's on some applications.  I've used rod, on some problem items, and ground it down until fits.
Terry

Larry Bralley

I put new brushes in mine yesterday. I just sanded and cleaned around my studs and taped 'em off. Mine is more of a driver than a show car. But I understand. It looks a lot better to remove everything.

thomasso

I've often just cleaned the mounted field coils with solvent and washed down with hot water.  If the field coils are good removing them especially without proper tools will just cause problems.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

gasman826

Snap On PPM410 or PPM410A socket

https://store.snapon.com/SearchResults.aspx?q=ppm410&IsPartsSearch=0&departmentName=Tool Catalog

OR...
Visit an industrial mill store and get a piece of 5/16" key stock.  You can use your 5/16" 8-point female socket, or your T-handle from your tap set, or locking pliers, or adjustable wrench

OR...
leave well enough alone

Swank

yeah, at this point, I think im feeling the "leave well enough alone" idea for now.  since I have it apart, planning on the bearings and brushes, but will probably let them coils hang out for awhile.  plenty of time to make a permanent mess later on.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)