News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Parking brake pulley cover

Started by billd5string, 2017-04-16 12:47

Previous topic - Next topic

billd5string

Rich clued me in that this isn't a common part, but my car has one so I thought I would try to document it in case it might help someone else who needs one.

The material feels like bakelite, but it clearly was molded in black.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

billd5string

Here are some more pictures.

It was held in place with a single metal clip, and was a sung fit against the floorboard. It will only fit flush in one position.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

billd5string

And here it is in the car, and the same area with the part removed (okay, we know what that looks like, but might as well)
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

terry_208

So, that's the piece I've been hearing about!  My sedan has one.  I couldn't place the part by description, even when told.  Thanks for posting the pics.
Terry

Ecode70D

I have the piece, but don't have the clip to hold it on.  So for now it will just have to stay in my glove compartment until I   find a clip. 
Jay

djfordmanjack

Jay, I have the clip and I am sure you could make one from mild spring steel. I can make a pattern or/and drawing.

ragtop

thunderbird parts suppliers like concoursparts has it and the clip

Ecode70D

Quote from: ragtop on 2017-04-17 11:40
thunderbird parts suppliers like concoursparts has it and the clip

Thank you Guenter   Hold off on the measurements  for now.  I'll see what Concours has.
    I think that when I clean up my ball, I'll give it some sort of a coating since they are prone to evaporating like previously stated.
    Check  your email box It is full and Not receiving mail. 

Contibob

I think the T' Bird one is slightly different, might still work though

djfordmanjack

BTW is that cover supposed to go under or on top of carpet/mat ?

RICH MUISE

And that question may explain why there are so few surviving. The base has that large tab partially around the circumference. If that tab was designed to go under the carpet or rubber pad, it would make it difficult to remove and proned to breakage attempting to do so. If that tab ran all the way around, it would be especially difficult to remove.
On one hand, I don't see any other reason for the tab, but on the other hand, it would take a perfectly cut and positioned  cutout in the floor covering to work.
For what it's worth, I positioned my homemade one on top of the carpet to cover the unsightly hole I had for the pulley and cable fitting.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

good thought. It would be interesting to see pics of an oem rubbermat eqipped 57 survivor.
yours looks clean. BTW Rich, if you are looking for a plastic bag with white wire in it, you are hiding it up there under the dash... :003: :002:
(I assume that you have some open end wires in there that you want to insulate from the dash)

djfordmanjack

Just looked through my files, remembering that I saved some pics of a 10k miles survivor. it seems the original mat stops just below the parking brake cover and there is the factory firewall insulation pad on top. It seems that insulation pad was made of the same material as the cover as well. I'll check my replacement insulation for how large that hole for the brake pulley is.
here is the location of the cover:

Jeff Norwell

Never seen one...All my cars are missing those...hahaha......along with much more.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Swank

my carpet was pretty beat out, and I don't know if it was original or not, but it seems that mine was actually trimmed off around the cover.   the carpet is falling down behind the pedals, but you can see the cut-out around the pulley cover.  and the lip tucks under the carpet.

-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)