News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Parking brake pulley cover

Started by billd5string, 2017-04-16 12:47

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

I seem to remember my '57 back in the day having the factory carpet cut around the cover. I rebuilt the one I have now with a bigger flange and put it on top of the carpet which I extended over the top of the pulley.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Wow, looks like it was made that way. Nice job Lynn.
I'm surprised at the number of guys who have them on their cars. The first time we discussed this a few years ago, nobody said they had one.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

Lynn, are you referring to the oem rubber mat as carpet or did your 57 have real carpet from factory?

your cover ball looks very good !

I see how Rich and you extended your carpet above the parking brake pulley, since you both don't have the eom style firewall insulation mat.
From what I have seen on my reproduction insulation pad and carpet it seems as if the cover had its flange under those.
carpet and insulation meet in the middle of the parking brake pulley.
This is just a minor detail but now it got me interested in how they came from factory.

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2017-04-19 06:22
I seem to remember my '57 back in the day having the factory carpet cut around the cover.

billd5string

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2017-04-19 06:22
I seem to remember my '57 back in the day having the factory carpet cut around the cover. I rebuilt the one I have now with a bigger flange and put it on top of the carpet which I extended over the top of the pulley.

That looks great! I would like to paint mine to look a bit better, but I didn't want to risk mucking up a "rare" part. And you rebuilt it? As in, modified the existing one or made a new one from scratch based on the original? Either way, it looks great.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

lalessi1

The car I was referring to "in the day" was a 4 dr Fairlane 500, factory carpeted. My Custom came with "home-made" carpet, poorly done, but OK for now. I used some excess that was under the rear seat and hand stitched it to the top of the existing carpet across the width of the car and brought it under the ABS repro insulation firewall mat I installed.

I repaired the pulley cover by cutting a flat ring from 1/8" hobby plywood and basically "caulked" it to the bottom of what I had after sanding it flat. I did it a few years ago so I don't recall all the details.

Our cars never looked completely finished under the dash from the factory. It does show from the backseat. That was always an issue with me, even as a 17 year old... :003:
Lynn

Ecode70D

Lynn
    You did a nice job rebuilding that ball and under your dash in that left corner looks nice also.
m

djfordmanjack

Lynn, yours looks terrific! much better than what the factory came up.