News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Just a simple question

Started by Ecode70D, 2017-04-19 11:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

What is the proper terminology for the bolt pattern for Ford  wheels, specifically 1957?   Is it 5X4.5?
Thanks for any and all answers.  Jay

billd5string

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2017-04-19 11:46
What is the proper terminology for the bolt pattern for Ford  wheels, specifically 1957?   Is it 5X4.5?
Thanks for any and all answers.  Jay

Yes, 5 on 4 1/2 or 5x4.5.

Same as 60's Mustangs/Cougars, and a whole lot of other Fords.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

Ecode70D

billd5string
     Thank you very much.  That's what I needed to know.   Looks like Ford has that pattern dominated, and that's OK with me.
Jay

Rowen55

You know, just some trivia, some mopar wheels have the same pattern.

hiball3985

Yes, Plymouth used it too..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

geraldchainsaw

back in 1959 when i had my first 57 ford,  i remember changing my wheels to plymouth,  but don't remember why,  maybe changing to 15",  not sure

Ecode70D

Jim, Gerald and Rowen
Now that you guys reminded me about the Plymouth wheels fitting our cars,  I remember  using them also.  I also remember that some of them were easy to spot because they had 5 extra smaller holes in them.   Plymouth brake drums had a line up pin sticking out of them making it easier to get the rims on.
The line up pin didn't work whenever a stud hole was hooked onto it though.

hiball3985

Jay, remember the Plymouth wheels used the locating stud because the drums didn't have studs, the wheels were held on with bolts. The bolts were both right and left hand threads. I remember the first time I tried removing them and couldn't on one side of the car that had the left hand threads  :003: The I noticed the bolt heads had an L marked on them.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

thomasso

Back in the late fifties some friends of mine would steal the spare tires out of Mopar trunks.  Chrysler product trunks had a push button and many owners didn't lock them.  One friend had a full set of Desoto wheels and tires. on his 49 Ford.  14 inch wheels were cool then.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

John Palmer

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2017-04-22 07:34
Jay, remember the Plymouth wheels used the locating stud because the drums didn't have studs, the wheels were held on with bolts. The bolts were both right and left hand threads. I remember the first time I tried removing them and couldn't on one side of the car that had the left hand threads  :003: The I noticed the bolt heads had an L marked on them.

X2, and they also had a "copper color" added to the lefthand threaded lug bolts/nuts sometimes.