News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Side mirror removal

Started by MT, 2017-04-26 23:19

Previous topic - Next topic

MT

I just don't care for the look of the fender mounted side mirrors on my 500, but I don't want to do any paint or body work.  Has anyone covered the holes with a plate or just some unobtrusive hardware that looks acceptable?  Thanks

gasman826

I just use masking tape to hold things on like the front fender extension (eye brow).

RICH MUISE

HaHa..........Man, you got fiestie in the few days the forum was down!  :003:
MT: I think what Gary is trying to say is that there isn't much that could be done in the way of patching to make it look presentable.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

MT

Haha, well I might try some low profile polished bolts or acorn head bolts.  I could probably just put a couple small white stickers over the holes and nobody would notice unless they looked real closely, haha.  I will have to pull off the mirrors and see what is hiding underneath.........

59meteor

If you are just looking to fill the screw holes, I can not imagine anything less obtrusive than a couple of POP rivets. Or what about sticking some good duct tape over the holes from underneath, and filling in the holes with some touch up paint?
I agree, most of the outside mirrors look ugly, and ackwardly located, and do not really offer much usable visability to the driver. I wonder what the Ford factory or dealers did in the day. On my 57 Ford Sedan Delivery I had a couple of those round mirrors that clipped onto the door frame upper section. OK looking, but did not show all that much that was going on beside me. I guess we are all spoiled by the large effective mirrors used on modern cars. Too bad they would look hideous on an old car.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

djfordmanjack

I will have pics of my soon to come rearview mirrors available in a few days. I bought a set of swan neck mirrors and plan to use them upside down and mount them in the lower corner of the door glass frame. I had only seen such a conversion one time before. today we checked how they would work and they give full visibility and will clear the front vent windows so they still will open up all the way. on the drivers side I see it through the door glass and on the passgr site it can be fully seen through the vent window. the A posts and vent wing/doorglass channels do not get in the way. It is extremely difficult to find a good spot for rearview mirrors on the 57.
I would use little white stickers over the primered screwholes anytime.

djfordmanjack

here's my sticker version  :003: ( if you want to see more about the actual rearview mirrors go to )http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=6705.345

hiball3985

Thats too funny   :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang