News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

instalation of 4.6 question

Started by terry_208, 2017-04-27 11:46

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

I too am contemplating the use of the 4.6 engine into my sedan.  I've read about trimming the right side a arm support and the firewall clearance.  To the question, can't the engine be moved slightly forward, and inch and raised about the same?  I understand that would create radiator clearance problems but I need to replace my radiator and was thinking of moving it forward also.  Comments or concerns?

I ask because I can purchase a 96 merc marques cheaply at $400. 
Terry

canadian_ranchero

if you are using a 2 cam motor with the air intake/throttle body on top you will probably not need to trim the fire wall.you need to trim the upper control arm mount for exhaust manifold clearance.i do not think moving the motor ahead will change this need to trim the mount 

RICH MUISE

I did not trim my firewall pinch weld flange either, just wish I had. As Gary/Canadian R. said, it will depend on your throttle body position. Ours are both at the end of the intake manifold.
Move the engine forward?.....Depends on your steering setup. I believe mine is about an inch further back than Gary's because it had to be. I've got rack and pinion steering and it had to be moved back for the bellhousing to clear the rack, which also meant modifying the oil pan (front sump Continental). I've got less than 1/4" total location tolerance on mine. Gary I believe has stock manual steering, so did not have to move the extra inch back.
My exhaust manifold is 1/16 away from the passenger control arm bracket. It is not trimmed because I forgot to before I installed the engine. I have had no issues with it hitting, and it is very tight getting down there with a cut off tool, so it may stay.
Don't know for sure, but raising the engine an inch may create some floorboard clearance issues and possibly a pinion angle issue. Trimming the control arm mount is quick and easy, the mods to avoid doing it are not.
JFYI............I am told The 2 cam motors run about 225HP which places them about 60HP less than the dohc version in the Marks. They're a dependable workhorse, but you may want to think about the fact that a dohc is not much more work to install than a sohc.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

One other thing.....exhaust manifolds. You cannot use the Cobra Mustang manifolds that we used. You'll need to research if there was a sohc 4.6 in Mustangs. Don't know what guys that have the sohc version in our vintage Fords are using for exhaust, but I'd check in to it before you get to far into the project. Gary may already know.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

terry_208

Thanks for the information.  I decided to pass on the Merc but will keep this info for future reference.  I already have a few motors, a 292, a 312, a 302, and a 351 W and 2V Cleveland heads and aftermarket intake.  As one may guess I have options but I don't know what I'll do for the engine.  I'm still working on the body so have plenty of time to decide. I just hate to see good deals pass me by!

Terry