News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear brake drums

Started by rar1947, 2017-05-01 10:35

Previous topic - Next topic

rar1947

Looking to see if anyone has a pair of rear brake drums for a 58 Ford custom. I'm unable to find a set For a reasonable price and one of mine has a piece broken off the edge (might be the cause of my slight highway vibration). Anyone out there switch to rear discs and willing to sell their drums?

Thanks,
Ryan

gasman826

rar1947

Minnesota, near Minneapolis.

rar1947

Still looking if anyone has a pair they keep tripping over in the garage 😁

Ray

French Lake or Windy Hill. When I lived around there either one of those yards had over 100 57's and 58's
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

Lou

Check Hollander, a lot of years interchange with 57 rears drums.

rar1947

I am still on the lookout for a pair of rear brake drums for a 57-58 Ford Custom. Junkyards are coming up empty and only found one place that has new but at the price they are asking it would almost be worth just getting rear discs. Hoping someone else went to discs and has useable rear drums they are willing to part with.

fdlrc

Let me check tomorrow, I may have a set.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

Ray

Try Steve Pierce (310) 631-0053
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

Hoosier Hurricane

A few years ago when building my son's '57, we needed a rear brake drum.   The local junk yard had no '57s, and I found a drum from an early to mid seventies Chev the right diameter, offset, and center hole diameter.  It was a simple job to locate and drill the five lug stud holes between the gm holes.  Worked perfectly.  Downside now is that few yards have any '70s cars either.   John

Frankenstein57

Still looking, I might have some

rar1947

Yes I?m still looking. I sent a PM as well. Thanks!

Frankenstein57

I tried to email but it failed to go through, I found a pair but they are also chipped on the inside edge.  I wouldn't be afraid to trim that on a lathe, just don't remove to much material. Ill dig around for more

Tom S

I wouldn't be afraid of using a brake drum that's chipped on the inside edge. Considering it's distance from the center of rotation there would have to be an awful big chunk broken out of the edge of the drum in order to overcome the much stronger forces generated farther from the center of rotation by wheel & tire.

Of course I don't know how big the 'chip' is or how much Ryan has done to isolate the vibration so I may be completely out of line with all of this.
I'm sure he knows that a 'slight highway vibration' could be caused by something else such as driveshaft u-joints, out of balance driveshaft or even a worn trans extension housing bushing.
https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/automatic-transmission-extension-housing-bushing.html
Brake drums do come with their own balancing weights spot welded to them. Had one pop off of a brand new (not a '57) drum a while back. Must have bumped it with the wheel as I put it back on. A poor weld too.
Might be interesting to find out how much out of balance his chipped drum is if he could find a machine shop to check it.

hiball3985

I have had a slight vibration since day one when I got the car. Since then I have run two different engines, two trans and changed the output shaft bushing, two different drive shafts checked by two different balance shops, two different third members, different rims/tires and it's still there. Can't feel it in the shifter or the steering wheel and can only see it in the rear view mirror and it drives me crazy  :005: My next thought is a rear brake drum or slightly bent axle.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang