News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Argent Silver substitute?

Started by Swank, 2017-05-14 12:56

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

I used a Duplicolor paint "BGM0535 Silver Met" matching it to the underside of the splash pan. it dries to a matte sheen. I used another Duplicolor color "BGM0522 Storm Gray Met" for the gray trim inside my Custom.
Lynn

tdd

Auto Zone sells VHT rattle can Ford Argent paint. I painted my splash pan and air cleaner. Looks great

SkylinerRon

Perfect match, SEM spray paint available at body shop supply stores.
Ford Argent is all the same, part # D7AZ-19000-A.

Ron.

Swank

Thanks, thats good to know.   I picked up some rustoleum aluminum #7515 (~5$) and it looks way better than the stuff i put on the air cleaner originally, but i did run across a rattlecan with the D7AZ number (~14$) while ordering some odds and ends on the C&G site, so im tossing it in the cart for comparisons sake.  Not going for a genuine restoration, just interested.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

Jeff Norwell

I use a duplicolor ---ford color called Silver frost..non metallic and not a shiny paint.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

cokefirst

I use white vinegar straight from the bottle.  You dilute 1 to 2.  Is there some reason you don't use it full strength?  I bought an Eastwood tin/zinc plating kit and start with putting the parts in vinegar first then a good rinse and then plate.  The plate looks good and it keeps stuff from rusting so quick
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

Swank

Most recipes i found online were from 33% to 50% vinegar, so i started with that. Turns out that was preferable for my big bucket as it holds aprox 25 gallons. Not that 25 gals of vinegar is expensive, just dragging that much from the store would be a pain.  I also have a crockpot for smaller parts with straight vinegar.  It does work faster than the watered down big bucket (1-2 days compared to 5-7), but i feel the straight vinegar is a little harsh. The parts out of straight vinegar have more grip, feel slightly textured or etched where the ones out of the mixed vinegar feel pretty smooth, depending on how much rust is coming off of course.  And also, when i was rebuilding the generator, i threw the front and back plates, pulley/fan, nuts, bolts, etc in the straight vinegar bucket to knock it out fast, ...the brush springs never came back out. Didnt look too rusty before even, little surface rust like everything else in the car and still springy, but were completely dissolved in 24hrs, everything else was fine, no springs. Put me out a week waiting for new springs. So, if i have the time i like to use the mixed version, although my reasoning might be closer to superstition at this point.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

hiball3985

I wonder why it doesn't like the springs, they should be spring steel shouldn't they. They had two different end plate designs over the years and different springs and I don't know when they changed. Good luck finding good replacements, I bought some from two different suppliers and they probably get them from the same place and they lasted no time, just broke in half. This was on my 60 truck that has the newer cheap design, I finally found an older plate and used it, I hope you have the earlier design.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang