News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wiper cables to linkage conversion

Started by rmk57, 2017-05-18 19:30

Previous topic - Next topic

junior58

My cable system works fine, I converted to 2 speed electric with a Newport system, works great but the only regret is that I didn't go with the intermittent option at the time. I drive my car rain, snow or shine (we don't salt roads over here so winter driving is not a problem).
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

JPotter57

I did the 58 Ford cowl integration surgery on my 57.  It is a lot of work but worth it.  You will find that the 58 has the wiper motor almost dead center underneath the dash, where the 57 is offset to the driver side a good bit.  Good luck making the motor work with those arms  without a lot of re-engineering the rod length.  I didnt use the entire cowl tank only the indented portion where the motor bolts.  I measured carefully to get the correct position, then cut out and fitted the 58 piece in.  Once done, it clears the firewall of the bg motor, which was definitely in the way of my pentroof 427 valve covers.  I finished mine up with a Newport 58 wiper motor.  I did my swap to get rid of teh troublesome cables, only the ones on the passenger side were free and worked properly..the driver side was frozen and would only wipe about 3 or 4 inches of the bottom of the window.  My last 57 was the exact same way so I cut all that poorly designed crap out and threw it into the trash can.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ecode70D

James
    If you took pictures of that operation, it would be nice to see them.   Sounds like something interesting.
Thanks Jay   

pepfalcon

i bought a newport wiper motor, came with a mickey mouse switch. i wanted intermittant wipers, so used intermittent switch and box off of mid seventies ford pickup. put stock 57 knob on stem after trimming stem. now have 2 speed wipers, intermittent, and electric washers.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: pepfalcon on 2017-05-28 14:26
i bought a newport wiper motor, came with a mickey mouse switch. i wanted intermittant wipers, so used intermittent switch and box off of mid seventies ford pickup. put stock 57 knob on stem after trimming stem. now have 2 speed wipers, intermittent, and electric washers.
Pepfalcon........can you please expand on ......."used intermittent switch and BOX off of a mid seventies Ford pickup". I understand the switch and I'll guess that the BOX is the intermittent controller. Is that correct?
Thanks
John