News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

fan pulleys

Started by Ron, 2017-05-18 20:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron

I'm trying to determine if Y-block cars that came from the factory with air conditioning also came with smaller-diameter water pump pulleys than did Y-block cars that were not equipped with a/c.  A friend tells me that all GM vehicles of the same era that came with factory-installed a/c units had smaller-diameter pulleys installed that did cars without a/c.  The purpose, of course, was to increase the RPMs of the water pump and the fan to protect against over-heating at idle when the a/c is turned on.  If Ford did, in fact, install different size pulleys in their a/c-equipped cars, it would be very helpful to know the diameter of the different pulleys used by the factory for both a/c and non-a/c cars.  I'm researching this because I recently installed after-market a/c in my '56 312 c.i. Fairlane that came from the factory without a/c, and while it works well, the engine does heat up quickly on a hot day in slow-moving or stopped traffic.  A fix I'm considering is going to a slightly smaller-diameter water pump pulley and it would be helpful to know the best diameter pulley to use.  Thanks, Ron

57chero

I was just looking at that for my 56 T-bird concoursparts sells a water pump pulley for the Birds y-block for that reason its one inch smaller.

Ron

What is the diameter of your stock pulley?  Thanks, Ron

Ray

I have a factory air car. I'll look at the pulley diameter after the weekend. The factory air cars use a triple pulley on the water pump, a triple pulley dampner, a double pulley on the generator, a 40 amp generator, a shorter fan spacer and a 5 blade fan. In short, they are a completely different animal. Same radiator however.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

Ron

I'll be anxious to see what the diameter is of your factory air car.  Thanks, Ron...

Ron

I see that CASCO has a "High Output" water pump that I spotted on page 29 of their 2016 catalog, part #8501HO.  The price is set at $149 and includes a new gasket.  Of interest, they also say they will modify owners' stock water pump for increased output for $50 (part #8501HOY).  Seems that something like this along with a 5" or 6" down-sized pulley would bring the temp down to reasonable levels on hot days at idle with the a/c blowing.  Has anyone installed one of these HO water pumps?  Ron...

cokefirst

I have a 57 Skyliner with factory air.  It has the triple pulley on the water pump, double pulley on the generator, It is definitely smaller diameter. Per the Ford parts book the pulley is 6.82 OD.  Ford part number B6A 8509-B and it does have the 5 bladed fan.  I wanted to try and put a fan clutch on it as the factory fan with the small pulley makes my engine sound like a B-17 at cruising speed.  Unfortunately, there was not enough room to fit it all in as there is not enough space between the fan, radiator and engine accessories to do this.  The engine does run a little warmer with the air on.
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

gasman826

I sorted through a pile of clutch fans and found a short one.  I was concerned how close it was to the radiator (1"), but ran it anyway.  It was on my 292 Ranch Wagon for three years with no issues (even with a rusty core support).  I'd have to confirm part # but my guess would be late '60s FE maybe off my 428CJ Fairlane.  It's hanging on the wall so I'll check for a number.

ragtop

also offer water pump baffles in the T-bird books