News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

interior colors and stuff

Started by Swank, 2017-06-11 11:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Swank

morning,
looking to get a handle on a plan for the interior of this thing.  it has the trim scheme code of "E", which says starmist chain-grain vinyl and blue silver-dash or blue flying-dart fabric. Would anyone have pics of what these actually are supposed to look like?  chain-grain? silver-dash?  flying-dart?  not finding them on the webs.  I think the seats have been re-done at some point and the vinyl has a very teal look to it.  don't know if it faded to current color or was like that on purpose. the vinyl and fabric are in very good condition comparatively.  just looking to have something that goes with the original exterior paint.  and speaking of paint, anybody know what color this dash and trim actually is?  ...as in, what's a current option for being a close match to the original?  (im assuming it's probably not supposed to have an aqua tint to it)
alright, that's it for now, appreciate any help.

here's my interior before I pulled it out, and the paper thin headliner with attached wasp nests.

ps:  the exterior color is colonial white and starmist blue, ...weathered.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

lalessi1

I got a quote from LeBaron Bonney, they sent me swatches of fabric...
Lynn

Swank

Is the dashboard just fords dresden blue?
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

Marc

On the old 1957ford.com website there were tons of pics of the various interior combinations, as well as a list of the interior paint colors. James has been doing a great job of getting that website up and running again, though loading all the pics is going to take some time. If you're not in a rush, maybe just check back on that website periodically.

djfordmanjack

I don't think any of the interior moldings and dash paint matched the exterior. they were semi gloss to start with. your dash paint looks very og. It seems most of the green, blue, brown and grey interiors were metallic paint (not black or red). my og paint (metallic) brown dash is totally different from the og exterior metallic brown.

Quote from: Swank on 2017-06-12 13:17
Is the dashboard just fords dresden blue?

Swank

Not in a rush, i do check in here at least once to a dozen times a day.   Ill keep sliding over to the main page too. 
I didnt think the interior colors was the same as the exteriors. But i couldnt be sure seeing how I have some parts looking blue and others with that aqua tint.   ...who knows?
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

Marc

X2 what Djfordmanjack said. The original interior trim paint in my colonial white/Cumberland green Custom was a much darker shade of green metallic than the exterior Cumberland green.
You can always take the glove box door to a paint shop and have them scan it to produce a match. The paint on the inside of the door should be about the lease faded paint you'll find in the car. 

JPotter57

I thought I already had those sections back up, but apparently not.  Things have been busy and I havent been able to add anything else, but it is coming, as soon a I can slow down and get it done.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Swank

No rush, its great you have that stuff.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

SkylinerRon

Blue interior paint,
Duco # 90936
Ford # M-21-725D
Ditzler # 11647 Lacquer w/flattener.

Ron.

Swank

Excellent,

...was pulling stuff out of the inside today and everything is so worn and faded, was looking at half a dozen shades and tints of blue.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

6cyl57

I was about to ask about the dash color too.

Swank

Morning,
Finally got the insides on the outside, so bringing back this old thread about color.

We have a local PPG paint shop that did a good job with the starmist blue and colonial white,  but the interior blue is stumping them.

Gave them the codes provided by Ron (thanks again)
Duco # 90936
 Ford # M-21-725D
 Ditzler # 11647 Lacquer w/flattener.

...but they got nothing, couldnt translate to theirs.  They suggested the color match deal, but wanted to see if anyone might have a modern code thats usable for PPG colors for this matte metalic blue before i try matching.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

jhicks5

I happen to be working on the same color scheme for my Ranchero, and have been wrestling with this interior color issue for months.  Starmist and Colonial exterior with blue interior.  I also took the same interior color codes Ron provided and they could not be matched by my supplier.  He went to his "color library" and found the "correct" color, for a blue '57 Ford interior.   I took a chance and bought a quart just last week.  When I opened the can it appears a perfect match to the LeBaron Bonney blue interior I just bought.  It also has a little bit of metallic in it, which by my observation is correct.  Have not sprayed it yet, but I think it will match to the original. 

My guy is Mike in the paint department at LKQ/Keystone in Minneapolis.  800 328 1845.  I asked him, and he said he had a paint formula and not a code.  Said he would be glad to share it with you or your supplier if you call him. 
Good luck
Jim

fdlrc

I have the same blue interior. It is not the same as any exterior. My car is dresden blue. The dash is what is called medium blue on 1957ford.com site. I didn't see a fancy name. It sure looks like your ash tray. I have posted some pics on my project build. Here is the dash. Seats are blue dart fabric.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco