News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

312 rear main

Started by thomasso, 2017-06-12 11:30

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasso

This may be a dumb question but does anyone have a sure fix for the perpetually leaking 312 rear mains?
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

JimNolan

You need to find someone who can pack a rear main rope seal. I know, those people are dead now or very scarce at best. I tried my best to do it myself and never could achieve stopping the leak. I know you don't want to hear that but you can put out feelers on the Y-Block group to find help.
As for myself I fixed the rear main seal leaks, oil to the valve covers or the clatter of solid lifters, and the lack of parts when away from home long ago. I changed over to the FE engine long ago. I've got probably 65K miles on my 57 counting before and after it's restoration in 2009. 43K since 2009. I drive my 57 almost every day, not just one weekend a year. Good luck.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Jeff Norwell

Jay Can help..and a few others here..... but they can be difficult.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Oldmics

There is a billett rear main seal mechanism that is being sold on eBay.

Its somewhat expensive BUT a coupla guys on the Y Block Forever forum say its a good piece.

I will probably give one a try with my next engine.

Oldmics

geraldchainsaw

i can't say for sure,  but don't they use a chinesse finger like they used in the flatheads?,   any one know how to spell chinesse?

hiball3985

Quote from: geraldchainsaw on 2017-06-12 16:30
i can't say for sure,  but don't they use a chinesse finger like they used in the flatheads?,   any one know how to spell chinesse?
I've never used a Chinese finger but a Sneaky Pete is very helpful to use on rope seals on the Y block. I think BEST gaskets makes a neoprene type seal for 312's
https://www.ebay.com/i/302212764867?chn=ps&dispItem=1.
From what I understand the new rope seals aren't as good because they don't have aspestice <--- having a brain fart and can't remember how to spell it  :003:.  Getting the side seal right is a tackle.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

thomasso

I've replaced many rope seals over the years with much success.  But these 312s defy me, have even tried the neopreme replacement, which tore up almost immediately.  The problems are the upper groove is so far up in the block that it is very difficult to pack and trim.  The seals supplied these days don't have the body? of the old ones and won't even cut good.  Also the separate lower aluminum seal retainer I've been told can crack.  Even replaced the last one with a replacement iron one, still leaks.  Anyway, Thanks.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

JimNolan

Fellows, I just looked on EBay for that rear main seal and I found all kinds of rubber seals now for a 312 or smaller Y-block. What's wrong with them. They cost about $50 bucks but that's better than trying to find someone that can pack rope seals.

JimNolan

Quote from: Oldmics on 2017-06-12 15:51
There is a billett rear main seal mechanism that is being sold on eBay.

Its somewhat expensive BUT a coupla guys on the Y Block Forever forum say its a good piece.

I will probably give one a try with my next engine.

Oldmics
Quote from: geraldchainsaw on 2017-06-12 16:30
Jerry, I think the Chinese finger thing is a tool to use when installing a rope seal on an engine already in the car. Loosing the crank and then pulling the upper rope seal through. You still have to know how to pack the seal.

Ecode70D

Thomasso
     First of all you have to make a positive determination about weather you have a 312 or 292 because the shaft size is different and the seals are different.

I bought a set of BEST GASKETS.  It comes with an upper and lower neoprene  set of gaskets and the side pieces.  My upper piece slipped right into place and I turned the engine over as I was installing it.  Nothing got ripped. This was done with the engine in place and the car was on jack stands. 

My rope rear seal actually looked good but I changed it anyways.   I checked the upper plug at the end of the camshaft and that was what   was leaking.   It was installed incorrectly. 

Since my car is standard shift, it was easy to slip the  tranny back onto the cross member  , remove the bell housing and flywheel assembly and get access to the rear plug.   

I hope that this helps .    Jay   

petew

Just replaced the rear main seal on my 312 with a Best Gaskets neoprene unit about 3 months ago.
It is leak free now and was a pretty easy job .

lalessi1

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2017-06-12 16:59
I've never used a Chinese finger but a Sneaky Pete is very helpful to use on rope seals on the Y block. I think BEST gaskets makes a neoprene type seal for 312's
https://www.ebay.com/i/302212764867?chn=ps&dispItem=1.
From what I understand the new rope seals aren't as good because they don't have aspestice <--- having a brain fart and can't remember how to spell it  :003:.  Getting the side seal right is a tackle.

Funny that the eBay rope seal contains Asbestos (aspestice?).  :003:
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2017-06-13 07:50
Funny that the eBay rope seal contains Asbestos (aspestice?).  :003:
Thanks Lynn, "Asbestos" My mind just went blank at the time I was typing :005: I don't know how he gets away with it if no one else can?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

clusterbuster

I pulled the pan on my 272 engine three times trying to get the rear main seal to stop leaking. The third time I bought the Billett rear main seal kit mentioned by Oldmics. The system this guy has to stop the leak is really good. My 272 has hardly leaked a drop, and before I always had a puddle under the car. The new seal retainer is somewhat different from the original. His technique has the seal ends off set when installing and I think that is one of best features of the install. Yes it is pricey, but was well worth the bucks.