Rebuilt Distributor too short to reach oil pump shaft

Started by Rancheroboy, 2017-06-12 17:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancheroboy

Just installed a rebuilt distributor from Rock Auto on my 57 Ranchero 292.  Runs great but no oil pressure. Thought the shaft had come out during removal of the old one, but that wasn't the problem. I have discovered the distributor shaft is too short, doesn't even reach the oil pump shaft.  6" from the end of the shaft to where the distributor seats.  My distributor is 5-3'4"..  Of course I already sent my core back.  Does anyone know of anyone that has/makes the oil pump shaft a little longer, or a good source for a good rebuilt distributor.  Having trouble finding one in all the normal mail order places.  MSD has one but warns it may hit the firewall seam.

Marc

Napa sells a rebuilt distributor, though I can't comment on whether or not its any good.

Ford Blue blood

Every NAPA distributor I have purchased has been a correct, fully functional unit.  I have never had a problem with any.  Only complaint is they all come with a rubber hose nipple vice the hard line fitting.  Found out through a sales rep for NAPA no body is making the vacuum advance with the tubing fitting....

While Rock Auto is a good source for some stuff I almost always use my NAPA guy, great service, great warrenty, and prices that are in line (nearly) with Rock Auto.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Rancheroboy

OK, Problem solved.  I had an optional distributor which was longer and required a shorter oil pump shaft.  Turns out the 390 CI engine has an 8.5" shaft which solved my problem.