News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

disassembling the clock

Started by Marc, 2017-06-16 13:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

How is the knob on the clock adjusting stem removed? Does it just unscrew from the stem? trying to get my clock working, and it would be nice to not totally destroy it trying to take it apart!

Ray

Knob unscrews counterclockwise, you might have to put a pliers on the stem. You will still have to bend the tabs holding the face. only thing you can do inside is clean the mechanism and file the contact points. There are a couple of vendors that will convert them to newer digital movements.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

geraldchainsaw

pull the stem out,  grab the stem  with needle nose pliers and unscrew

Marc

Thanks.  Figured it had to be pretty simple.  The clock worked years ago, so I'm just planning to clean up the points and see how it does.

clusterbuster

How easy is it to get the clock out of the dash? Mine does not work either. Would be interested in going digital.

Marc

IT's easy to remove. Just two nuts securing it to the dash from behind, and disconnect the wire.

junior58

Any chance of a photo from the back showing where to clean and file (please)
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

Marc

Sorry Steve, I buttoned it back up and put it back in the dash without taking any pics. The clock was literally clean as a whistle inside, all I had to do was hit the contacts lightly with 1000 grit sandpaper. Hooked it up to 12 volts and the thing kicked into action.
Here's a link to a guy working on a 60's chevy clock. Very similar inside to ours. I watched it before tackling mine and it was pretty helpful. IT'll give you a good idea of where the contact points are, and what else to look for while you're in there.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyHFaNxmn3g>