News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Business coupe rear door panels

Started by rmk57, 2017-06-17 10:47

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

If the quarter windows were fixed how were the door panels done. Did they have a solid panel with no hole for the window crank or a plug to fill the hole?
There are so few photos of these I have yet to see any interior shots of the rear seat area of a completely stock one.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

JPotter57

plain panels with no hole and no arm rest
  Jay has some in his car, maybe he can shoot a pic for us..
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ecode70D

RMK57
   These are exact copies of my original rear side panels.  They do not look  anything like a rear door panel.  Notice that they do not go down to  the floor, but stop on top of the rear package tray.  They are absolutely nothing like a 2dr rear panel. They are plain and not supposed to have  any fabric on them.  It is supposed to be attached with push in clips.  I chose to use screws with the concave washers like the ones on the back panel because when removing the stock attaching clips, there is a tendency to damage the edge of the cardboard panels near the attaching holes.   

Notice also that the very rear panel blocking off the trunk is also nothing like  a 2 door rear  panel.   The attaching screws are correct and  located where they are supposed to be.  My factory panels were black in the back and gray on the sides.   The mismatched colors look odd, but that's the way Henry wanted them.

The inner wheel cover boots are original.  They are glued into place.  The edges are under the side panels and the back  panel.

I hope that this will help you.  You may have to do some practice work with cardboard box material until you get it right.

Sorry that the rear package tray was dusty when I took the pictures.   I took James for a ride in this car when he came to visit me. 
Jay

rmk57

Thanks for the pics. I'm not looking to duplicate a business coupe, just interested in what they looked like. I had no idea about the side panels,I always thought they were regular panels without cranks or armrests. Without a backseat and window mechanisms your probably 60 or so lbs. lighter to.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ecode70D

Randy
      I got it in my mind that you were building one.   Well at least now you know what the panels look like.  The forward ones are  very plain and simple and have fabric on them
      This is what the front door panels look like.  When comparing the front panels to the back ones, it's hard to believe that they are in the same car. 
       I clearly remember that the plain Jane cars  were not that popular back in the old days and were among  the first to get junked.   I'm sure that back then things like this were contributing factors to their  going  quickly  to the happy hunting ground.  Jay