News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Fair Price For A Custom ?

Started by troublemaker427, 2017-06-20 07:52

Previous topic - Next topic

troublemaker427

Here are a couple more.  The red car is my father's '61 Starliner 390-401.  We pulled them on the starting line for a photo op.  Neither car has made a timed pass yet.
Jody Aberts
Troublemaker 2
'66 427 Fairlane
9:22@145
'57 Custom Tudor 70A
'61 Fairlane 390-401
'64 Galaxie 500XL P-code
'66 F100 390

fordaholic

Troublemaker427; you had to post those pics of your car, didn`t you. Now you`ve done it. I`m way motivated now. It is over the top for sure. Wow!! Is that taken at Beaver Springs this year? If so my close car buddy was there with his 66 white Comet wagon. I couldn`t make it this year. I also have a 66 post 427 clone, even the correct carbs, and a 63 Galaxie boxtop 406 clone that is for sale right now. We still need to talk. Please email me sometime.     Gary

lalessi1

Gorgeous car(s). I am a large FE fan as well running a stroker 428 in my Custom...
Lynn

troublemaker427

Quote from: fordaholic on 2017-06-22 10:42
  Troublemaker427; you had to post those pics of your car, didn`t you. Now you`ve done it. I`m way motivated now. It is over the top for sure. Wow!! Is that taken at Beaver Springs this year? If so my close car buddy was there with his 66 white Comet wagon. I couldn`t make it this year. I also have a 66 post 427 clone, even the correct carbs, and a 63 Galaxie boxtop 406 clone that is for sale right now. We still need to talk. Please email me sometime.     Gary
Yes, this was from the FERR at Beaver Springs this year.  My '61 won "Best of Show" there the first time out after we finished it.  You all need to come to the FE Race & Reunion in 2018.  If you like FEs it is the place to be!!
Jody Aberts
Troublemaker 2
'66 427 Fairlane
'57 Custom Tudor 70A
'61 Fairlane 390-401
'64 Galaxie 500XL P-code
'66 F100 390

JPotter57

Welcome, Jody.  I have followed the expoits of the Troublemaker Fairlane since I first saw it in a Ford magazine several years ago, love those 66-67 cars almost as much as 57s. 
Like everyone has mentioned, the prices are all over the place.  Just watch out for rust in the normal areas, door bottoms, fender eyebrows and lower corners, rockers, rear trunk pan, underneath the trunk lid.  Good rust free trunklids are impossible to find outside of the desert country out west.  Any sheetmetal parts you need to replace, obviously OEM (used or NOS) is best, but EMS makes pretty nice repop stuff.  Any rubber from Dennis Carpenter or Steele Rubber is good. 
Like the prices you are seeing, folks here have paid all different prices too.  My own car came out of Dallas, TX, mostly rust free, but was a basket case former drag car.  I paid $900 for it almost 10 years ago.   The last time it was registered was 1968 as the tag on the car showed, and the guy I bought it from confirmed that it had been a great while as it had sat in a field for 20 years before he bought it.  It was stripped, all glass broken out, etc.  It is nearing completion now, never again will I  do one that far gone and that much stuff missing.  It was a LONG period of gathering hard to find parts, fixing collision damage, and so on, but it is now in the final stages, waiting for the front fenders to be finished and painted so I can get them installed.  My 427 2x4 and 4 speed are in, running, sounds great.  I hope to make it to Beaver Springs next year with the 57, if so, I'm looking forward to meeting you and any other 57 Ford fans, as well as all of the FE guys. 
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

fordaholic

Jodi; I forgot to add a couple of pics on my last post. Hope I can do to you what you did to me.   Ha Ha!!!  Take a close look at the rear window of the 66. 

Rowen55

Troublemaker427

Can you tell me what the scoop is from? Thanks

troublemaker427

The scoop is from a 1961 "Super Duty" Ford big truck.  They were on the hoods of the big trucks backwards.  They were a popular addition to both early Ford & Pontiac Super Stock cars.  Fordaholic, awesome!!!

Here is a shot of my '66 Fairlane.
Jody Aberts
Troublemaker 2
'66 427 Fairlane
'57 Custom Tudor 70A
'61 Fairlane 390-401
'64 Galaxie 500XL P-code
'66 F100 390

Rowen55

Thanks for the quick response. That's the second one of those I've seen. Same year(s), I think the other was a 64 big truck. Gotta see if I can find one.

troublemaker427

Is $12,000 a fair price for a running driving 70D Business Coupe, 272, 3 speed?  Car has some rust issues around the rear wheel wells and rockers.  Rear shelf is gone and a backseat has been installed.  Car appears to be complete and fairly original except for the missing rear shelf.  It is about 8 hours from me and I'm going by photos at this point.  Floors and trunk are supposed to be good. 

What do you all think? 
Jody Aberts
Troublemaker 2
'66 427 Fairlane
'57 Custom Tudor 70A
'61 Fairlane 390-401
'64 Galaxie 500XL P-code
'66 F100 390

JPotter57

12k for a running driving business coupe is a pretty decent deal, especially it being a V8 car.  Be aware though that the rear shelf, if you want it, sells for what a lot of decent cars sell for.  The last shelf I saw sold for $3600, needing work.  Very scarce item, but it is easy to build a good looking copy.  Jay has a very nice copy in his real business coupe, built by him. If floors, rockers and quarters are good, you are money ahead.  That sounds like a great starting point for an awesome ride.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

57chero

I went and picked up some 57 parts from a liquidation/estate sale the other day and they had two 57,s for sale, one is a customized fairlane  and the other is a business sedan missing the platform, you can see them on the Portland, Oregon craigslist.

57chero

Should of told you there the two in Oregon City on the Portland Craigslist in a shop on skates. The guy died and there selling everything. He was into 57,s and 60 Pontiacs.

fordaholic

Jody; if you move ahead on the business coupe and really want a shelf, maybe we can pool our resources and knock off a few. Jeff has all the dimentions and a ton of pics that he collected from my shelf before it went back in the car. He has a metal guy who claims he can make them. Check with Jeff if you decide you need one.     Gary